The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Anyone familiar with her playing?
    Worth checking out and a name to remember.

She's got a really nice melodic sense
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 11-15-2021 at 03:55 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Oh what memories of a previous thread this brings

But more seriously .. Yeah, she's great and plays some cool stuff!
    Could you direct me to the other thread? She's a new discovery to me :-)

User Info Menu

Jazz Guitar Today did an interview on her a few months back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I'd rather not Eleanora StrinoEleanora Strino

(It was quite the train wreck)
    Mostly thanks to one individual who resides here w seemingly a sole purpose--to tick people off, and that individual shall remain nameless

User Info Menu

She’s amazing, at times stunning, at times a bit sloppy while mysteriously still nailing what she needs to. She’s in the tradition of Joe Pass, throwing the whole gamut of possibilities into everything she does. Sometimes it gets too much for my tastes, but in small dozes she is mesmerising. Would we had more guitarists of her stature.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Could you direct me to the other thread? She's a new discovery to me :-)
    I guess this is a thread you are looking for

elonora strino

User Info Menu

Too much video speeding up for me .. You can watch some of her live videos to see how she really plays. She's a good player behind the video gimmicks.

User Info Menu

Does she really speed up the video?

User Info Menu

look...There is something red on the guitar headstock in the first video ... but often during the video it disappears.
    I guess it's a montage from two or more videos ... I guess so.
    Great player.Funny videos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    look...There is something red on the guitar headstock in the first video ... but often during the video it disappears.
    I guess it's a montage from two or more videos ... I guess so.
    Great player.Funny videos!
    Well spotted Kris! Yes the video seems to be composed out of multiple takes.

Still, great player!

User Info Menu

I like how vibey her playing is

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Does she really speed up the video?
    I guess what he meant is maybe she often plays very fast in her Youtube videos ("a bit too fast" for his liking)? I cannot imagine that a serious musician would use a trick such as speeding up their videos or something like that. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I like her playing and music a lot and she seems to be a great person as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Mostly thanks to one individual who resides here w seemingly a sole purpose--to tick people off, and that individual shall remain nameless
    ah, yes. While the validity of anything said nameless individual has commented on cannot be established by any link to recordings demonstrating their own content mastery, It is acknowledged that true mastery has been attained in the ability to obfuscate and evade any and all queries to provide audio/ video evidence to establish said nameless individuals bonafides.
    Last edited by Jazzism; 11-15-2021 at 10:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCjazz
    I cannot imagine that a serious musician would use a trick such as speeding up their videos or something like that. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
    I don’t know if you’re kidding or serious. But FWIW, Les Paul was famous for speeding up recorded guitar parts by playing the backing tracks at half speed while adding the guitars. This doubled the apparent picking prowess while shifting pitch up an octave, and it was a very popular sound with the record buying public. I have no doubt that he and others who played with early recording methods would be doing it digitally today and using whatever modern technology they had to create and enhance the sound they wanted. I’m sure there are others, although I can’t cite any for you by name without doing a bit of a search.

I don’t recall who it was, but one guitarist who’s now a household name among us didn’t know that those amazing LP solos were played at half the speed heard on record when he first heard them as a kid. So he learned them from the recordings in real time. If you’ve never heard any of these, here’s one to get you started (on this one, the double speed guitar parts are in the background and really start kicking about halfway through the cut):

And here's one of their classics. The supersolos start at about 40 seconds in:

I do like Eleonora’s playing, which I don’t think is sped up artificially. But I did notice the magical cameos of that red thing on her headstock, which does strongly suggest that the video is the product of more than one recording.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 11-15-2021 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I cannot imagine that a serious musician would use a trick such as speeding up their videos or something like that
    Even mainstream companies like Ibanez speed up many of their promo videos these days. Pretty much anything aimed at the tiktok/youtube crowd that focuses on technique and flash can't compete unless sped up. It's more of a rule rather than an exception with the internet generation. Just visit guitar channels on youtube, instagram, facebook guitar forums etc.. You 'll find lots of pro players and teachers that amass thousands of followers this way.

I don't judge it, manipulating videos is like the next stage of what recording artists do when recording (combining takes, punching in, using computers etc).. I just find it boring, i prefer watching normal playing.

User Info Menu

Cutting up videos and pasting the best takes isn’t different than the ol break in on a cassette deck or RTR, yes? Been going on since that technology appeared. So I agree the red spot shows that but what recording artist nowadays doesn’t use available technology to its fullest. Or… Aliens?
    Defending the lady… cause I like her playing, her vibyness (thanks Christian great term!), and (unlike me) she’s young, and got a nice future ahead of her to keep jazz guitar going.
    And geez, guys, a gal from Italy? What’s not to adore?
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Cutting up videos and pasting the best takes isn’t different than the ol break in on a cassette deck or RTR, yes? Been going on since that technology appeared. So I agree the red spot shows that but what recording artist nowadays doesn’t use available technology to its fullest.
    I don't disagree with your thoughts. Splicing tape, punching in, copying and pasting for corrections and overdubs etc are all time honored ways of making a "better" recording. I've done it many, many times myself, so I'd be a hypocrite if I spoke against the concept. But if they were using available technology to the fullest, they'd know that it's an easy matter to digitally remove that red thing from her headstock.

It only bothers me because I've found that most people are consistent in their level of attention to detail (or lack of same). I wouldn't use a video tech or service that allowed something that obvious to slip by.

User Info Menu

HinNever! You’re 100% there. If ypure going to try to be a pro, someone somewhere should have caught that. Not like we are in the infancy of self video production! There are so many artust produced videos out there that are dragging down the overall quality of videos in general.
    its like when I gave up our equine photo business… ten years ago now…. People would rather make a cruddy print at home then pay 25$!for a print at professional standards.
    “More geese than swans now live, more fools than wise.”
    But some very smart young person out there is going to make a great impact and a name for themselves when the standards have declined further and they start showing people how to really do this kind of stuff at a pro level.
    Interesting thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I don’t know if you’re kidding or serious. But FWIW, Les Paul was famous for speeding up recorded guitar parts by playing the backing tracks at half speed while adding the guitars. This doubled the apparent picking prowess while shifting pitch up an octave, and it was a very popular sound with the record buying public. I have no doubt that he and others who played with early recording methods would be doing it digitally today and using whatever modern technology they had to create and enhance the sound they wanted. I’m sure there are others, although I can’t cite any for you by name without doing a bit of a search.

I don’t recall who it was, but one guitarist who’s now a household name among us didn’t know that those amazing LP solos were played at half the speed heard on record when he first heard them as a kid. So he learned them from the recordings in real time. If you’ve never heard any of these, here’s one to get you started (on this one, the double speed guitar parts are in the background and really start kicking about halfway through the cut):

And here's one of their classics. The supersolos start at about 40 seconds in:

I do like Eleonora’s playing, which I don’t think is sped up artificially. But I did notice the magical cameos of that red thing on her headstock, which does strongly suggest that the video is the product of more than one recording.
    I do not have any problem with speeding up part of your recording deliberately to create some nice effect or special mood in order to enhance your music. It can sound very interesting and cool. What I meant in my previous comment was clearly not about that.

User Info Menu

RE the multiple takes: I liked this a year ago, and I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    the biggest scandal since Milli Vanilli...
    I like her playing. I like
    a bit of fire in the belly. (see quote in JazzKritter's signature)

User Info Menu

Just follow her on Instagram, lots of video material there, also slower pieces. I have been following her for quite some time now. She has amazing technique and I like her sound and style - a real old school vibe!

User Info Menu

I do not have any problem with speeding up part of your recording deliberately to create some nice effect or special mood in order to enhance your music. It can sound very interesting and cool. What I meant in my previous comment was clearly not about that.
    As I've obviously offended you, I apologize - that was not at all my intent. I was simply responding to your request to correct you if you were wrong, and you were. Being unable to imagine something does not mean it doesn't exist. Les Paul is probably the leading example of a serious musician who used "tricks" like speeding up his recorded performances to get picking speeds that almost no one could play in real time (obviously including him, or he would have played the parts himself). I'm sorry that LP, Chet Atkins, and so many other great innovators didn't live to the digital age. I can just imagine the amazing videos they'd be making today.

I find no deeper meaning than the words themselves in the simple statement that "I cannot imagine that a serious musician would use a trick such as speeding up their videos or something like that". So I thought your comment was quite clear. Sadly, I failed to detect its subliminal content. You could help less intelligent guys like me understand you better if you provided a bit of context for such statements. The qualifier in your last post about "...[creating] some nice effect or special mood in order to enhance your music" would have done the job nicely. Again, I'm sorry to have upset you.

User Info Menu

Alter, Kris, why not ask Eleonora to join this thread and let her explain about her youtube videos?
    Last edited by HrundiV.Bakshi; 11-16-2021 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    As I've obviously offended you, I apologize - that was not at all my intent. I was simply responding to your request to correct you if you were wrong, and you were. Being unable to imagine something does not mean it doesn't exist. Les Paul is probably the leading example of a serious musician who used "tricks" like speeding up his recorded performances to get picking speeds that almost no one could play in real time (obviously including him, or he would have played the parts himself). I'm sorry that LP, Chet Atkins, and so many other great innovators didn't live to the digital age. I can just imagine the amazing videos they'd be making today.

I find no deeper meaning than the words themselves in the simple statement that "I cannot imagine that a serious musician would use a trick such as speeding up their videos or something like that". So I thought your comment was quite clear. Sadly, I failed to detect its subliminal content. You could help less intelligent guys like me understand you better if you provided a bit of context for such statements. The qualifier in your last post about "...[creating] some nice effect or special mood in order to enhance your music" would have done the job nicely. Again, I'm sorry to have upset you.
    Hello Sir. Well, you did not "offend" me. I just felt that you didn't understand my point. I didn't want to have this turn into some kind of argument with you or anyone else at all, so I kept my reply short.

As you can see, my original comment, which you quoted a few times, was a direct response to the comments posted by other forum members earlier, which was about speeding up "videos", where someone is visually demonstrating their actual playing skills of their instrument, recorded by their smartphone (or video camera) and they are often raw and unedited. There are literally tons of these videos out there. Now, let's say someone is playing something super fast in one of these videos, and looks like he or she is doing a very good job at that. Wouldn't it be some sort of cheating if in fact he or she secretly manipulated the speed of this kind of videos before posting them and deceive the viewers, pretending that they can play much faster than they are actually capable of? Personally I do not think someone like Ms. Strino does that to her videos and hence I gave my comment on it. Honestly I feel that saying her or anyone's videos were "sped up" without bringing actual proof is not fair.

And to me this would be a totally different issue from the examples you gave of what Les Paul did for his recordings.

I hope it's clearer now!

JC
    Last edited by JCjazz; 11-16-2021 at 03:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Honestly I feel that saying her or anyone's videos were "sped up" without bringing actual proof is not fair.
    I agree; it is a serious allegation that should be substantiated. We could do as Alter suggested and compare her promotion video with her performance videos.

The appearance and disappearance of the red thing in the promotion video has made some of us suspicious, leading to dark thoughts about her integrity. For what it is worth, I think it is perfectly normal for a promotion video to be made in several takes that are spliced together. That is how videographers work. The red thing is a continuity error. Or it might be symbolic.