The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

For UK dwellers, this program airs tonight on BBC4, 9pm to 10.30pm.

Sounds interesting!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And on iPlayer for a few weeks. Unfortunately, probably not available to view outside the UK.

User Info Menu

Should be interesting. I haven’t listened to his older stuff in awhile, but back in his heyday he was one of the most transcendent soloists out there. His solos really seemed to come from some mystical place.

He could also be surprisingly accessible, when he tackles standards and such. I listened to his Inside Out album with Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette just the other day. Beautiful album.

I saw him once in the ‘80s or early ‘90’s. He played Bach and Mozart with the Atlanta Symphony. I would have liked to see him play jazz, but c’est la vie.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 11-12-2021 at 05:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Here is a link.

Here is the film:

User Info Menu

I have the blu ray. It was released 10 years ago. I’m a Jarrett fanatic and have seen him 7 times.

User Info Menu

I haven't listened to him since college when I was turned off by his squealing. Listening again to a bit, it sounds pretty, maybe really good. I like that heady stuff if it's done well. He just needs to quit it with that noise wtf.

User Info Menu

I taped this. Not sure when I'll watch it though. I still have the Louis Armstrong concert to watch from about three months ago... Time....

User Info Menu

I always thought Jarrett was one of best musicians in Jazz..though for whatever reason he was not considered mainstream

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    I always thought Jarrett was one of best musicians in Jazz..though for whatever reason he was not considered mainstream

Hi Wolf this is not meant to be rude, who is mainstream, i would not have a clue what is,

I have my faves lots Bud Monk Bryant Chick Albany Galpher Mabern Buddy Montgomery, ( B. Mseleku in my top 5 always ).. running out of paper, loads more.

i dont have any idea how mainstream relates. Back to the begining

Yes Keith J, without a doubt one of the best. i have a lot of tons him i can listen to him anytime of the day.

IMPORTANT some people i cant, its so personal having been in music all my life its like a conversation, some people who dont want to hear at certain points in the day as in everyday life music for me is no different. not that one has to be rude/ugly about things you just dont get into that situation.

my post is getting a little tangential, hell at this stage of my life, i am lucky to be breathing in and out, anyway so glad you said that about Jarrett i have always respected your work and playing etc .

Tangentially Jarretts vocal murmerings also Bheki Mseleku has as well, if you dont know him only one thing to do. shortlived.

as i finish my rant Allan holdsworth Bbc sessions 80-81 not on record........................................... is ending with Gordon Beck on piano.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Should be interesting. I haven’t listened to his older stuff in awhile, but back in his heyday he was one of the most transcendent soloists out there. His solos really seemed to come from some mystical place.

He could also be surprisingly accessible, when he tackles standards and such. I listened to his Inside Out album with Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette just the other day. Beautiful album.

I saw him once in the ‘80s or early ‘90’s. He played Bach and Mozart with the Atlanta Symphony. I would have liked to see him play jazz, but c’est la vie.
    I really like his Paris and Koln concerts and fusion trio stuff. I never figured what he adds to the mastery of Bill Evans. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Keith J has to be the most talented artist I would never buy a ticket to go see, it's just not worth the risk of paying for a ticket to hear a great musician, and them BAM!!!, someone in the audience coughs and the performer walks off stage. He is a great musician, only a fool would say otherwise, but that doesn't automatically mean that he should be out there selling tickets and performing. He has all the talent but simply lacks the temperament (lil bit of pun there). I've been to plenty of concerts and yes, some people don't have the sense to shut up, and people cough and drop things and chairs squeak when somebody comes back from the bathroom. Every other performing artist deals with that sh!t and doesn't let it interfere with their performance.
    I have several of his recordings and while I don't like the maternal birthing moans, I can focus on the wonderful music that far outweighs it. I still wouldn't chance buying current prices for tix for fear that some little common human or mechanical flaw will bring the flow of the evening to an abrupt halt.
    Jarret's recording of Bach's French suites are among the best interpretations I've heard.

User Info Menu

I've probably seen KJ more times than anyone here. And not once did KJ "walk out." That walk out noise is over rated. Perhaps he was in a mood and walked out of one concert out of a thousand performances in his life? I guarantee he didn't walk out of any Japan concert. Keith Jarrett's ballads are nothing short of genius. Nuff' said.