The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I certainly love the live album and his recordings with Paul Desmond. This is also one of my favorites (Sonny Rollins - The Bridge):

The Bridge - Sonny Rollins, Sonny Rollins Quartet | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's difficult to choose favourite album.

I heard Hall live three times. At a small club in Toronto with just bass (may have been Thompson) Jim turned his guitar volume off and strummed aggressively like an acoustic. I learned more from that than anything I've heard any guitarist do elsewhere.

User Info Menu

Grand Slam! I got to record with the same rhythm section, largely due to Jim's generous support...

An engineer can make all the difference, indeed. And when it's a cat like David Baker, it borders on the magical. Having been there for so many recordings by so many great artists, his presence at a session automatically raises the level for all involved.

I love the acoustic presence of Jim's sound, the Red Mitchell duo recording. really captures it. Jim would always talk about thinking 'projection' rather that 'volume' to fill the room. Every time I'd go to hear him, he'd ask where I was sitting, and I could feel as well as hear his sound reach me, whether it was a small club or large concert hall. It's doubtful I'll ever reach that pinnacle of projection and connection, but I certainly strive toward it every time I play...

PK

User Info Menu

undercurrent is one of my favorite records ever, but this is a great thread to get to know some albums I don't know!

The albums he did with Jimmy Giuffre are really cool, too. I liked that he explored different ensembles.

User Info Menu

A second disc from the live 1978 session with Red Mitchell was released a few years ago:
    Jim Hall & Red Mitchell – Valse Hot - Sweet Basil - 1978 (2016, CD) - Discogs

Metheny had praise for Terry Clarke in the liner notes of the Live Vol. 2-4 set:

"If I had to pick one Jim record, it would be [Jim Hall Live!]....That was the ideal band, the ideal tunes, the ideal setting. Although Jim's had great periods all through his career, there was something going on right around that time that was incredible in his abilities, even on the instrument. There's stuff that he was playing right around that era that you really can't find him playing like before or after....It's a real portrait of that band. The whole thing with Don and Terry is so special , and it always has been for Jim. He's really affected by who he's playing with. Don is such a good soloist. You get to hear Jim comp a lot, which is great. Terry really understands how to play with guitar. That's something that is lost on a lot of drummers. It's not the same as playing with a tenor player. It's not the same as playing in a piano trio. Terry's always been great at that."

"Something Special" from 1993 is a gem in Hall's catalog, and "Circles" has always been a favorite, mainly because its just more of the Thompson/Clarke magic.

Here's an obscure one: Hall doing an organ trio date in 1960. His solo starts around 3:10

https://youtu.be/olKgsReNri0?t=188
    Last edited by 44lombard; 11-13-2021 at 08:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    I certainly love the live album and his recordings with Paul Desmond. This is also one of my favorites (Sonny Rollins - The Bridge):

The Bridge - Sonny Rollins, Sonny Rollins Quartet | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic
    seconded

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I've just heard this for the first time. Jim's on fire!

Jazz Impressions of Japan (1976)

Don Thompson Bass, Terry Clarke drums

1. Light2. Careful3. Kyoto Bells4. Without Words5. Echo6. Young One (For Debra)7. Two Special People8. Something for Now
    For me that is my favorite Hall record.