User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don’t even ignore it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

here we go....

Kenny G has a new project impacting us.-screenshot_20211110-115840_samsung-internet-jpg

User Info Menu

the arrogance

User Info Menu

(Pat Metheny intensifies)

User Info Menu

More musical necrophilia from Gorelick!

User Info Menu

Does he play tenor?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Does he play tenor?
    He played tenor with Jeff Lorber Fusion back in the mid 80’s. But Stan Getz? Hmmm..,

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This new project doesn't impact me. If it impacts anyone else (other than maybe Getz's relatives), that is one's own internal issue and should be looked at from that angle.

User Info Menu

I'd rather see him do a virtual duet with Charlie Parker.

User Info Menu

I'd have to hear it to make a final judgement, but I don't see giving a wider audience exposure to a great artist like Stan Getz as a bad thing.

User Info Menu

This strikes me as a joke after the Louis Armstrong backlash, Kenny G does have a sense of humor.

User Info Menu

“Dead musicians will start showing up everywhere—via holograms, biopics, deepfake vocals, and other technology-driven interfaces.” Should Kenny G Make a Record with a Software Reconstruction of Stan Getz? - by Ted Gioia - The Honest Broker (substack.com)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    I'd have to hear it to make a final judgement, but I don't see giving a wider audience exposure to a great artist like Stan Getz as a bad thing.
    Stan appears to agree with you:

User Info Menu

I hear KG does an awesome One Note Samba.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    Kenny doesn't seem the worse for wear for all these 'battles'.

I should look so good!...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I should look so good!...

In our eyes you do.

User Info Menu

I guess if people are Ok with this then music historians will probably have to include him now in their pantheon of the greats. Duets with Louis Armstrong and now Getz. He's found his way to greatness. Become a Master by association. SMH!

User Info Menu

So, are they sampling Stan Getz Phrases or are they making Phrases of music from samples of Stan Getz generated sounds?

User Info Menu

Will Stan's family get any royalties?

User Info Menu

Ted Gioia:
    I won’t name the musicians Getz criticized—that’s a complex subject I prefer to avoid. But here’s a short list of musicians that Stan openly and lavishly praised in my presence: Miles Davis, Lester Young, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, and Woody Herman.

You can see it’s not a long list. As I’ve said, Getz was hard to please, and only a small group earned his total respect. And you may have noticed that the name Kenny G doesn’t appear on that list.

This new thing is worse than we thought. According to this obvious press release, Kenny G has made an album called New Standards:

For this album, I wanted to try to recreate those ‘sounds’ but do it my own way, which for me meant that I would have to compose the songs myself. So I set out to compose and perform songs that capture the ‘heart and soul’ of those beloved Jazz Standards and to record them “my way”. It was a wonderful (and painstaking) labor of love and I’m super proud of the end result.

Super proud. What can we expect – Stella By Gaslight, All The Things You Are Not, Take The B Train, Square Midnight?

User Info Menu

Jeez - don't tell Pat!