The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can you help me identify what effects Pat Metheny is using in his song "Lodger" from his latest album?
    Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A distorted tone with some delay/echo?

User Info Menu

Sounds like his synth guitar.

User Info Menu

Sure sounds a lot like the chords to "Little Wing" in the A section; the B section sounds like it was lifted from another 60s progression, sounding familiar but I can't put my finger on it.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 11-09-2021 at 02:21 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing it's the Roland. The attack and decay sound rather artificial to me, not that that's a bad thing, just that it's not a natural sound. Though I guess someone could come up with a combination of effects that would sound similar, but since Pat is very experienced with the Roland, I'm guessing that's it.

Pat's going over to the darkside. What's next, death metal??

Seriously I've been digging this whole album. Pat just keeps getting better and better. His songs now are so complex, even the arrangements of his prior tunes like Bright Size Life seem more intricate. And yet, there are echoes of Jim Hall and other masters.

The first song is just a masterpiece. I could be wrong but don't think it's been released in a studio version before. Brilliant impressionistic songwriting.

User Info Menu

Love Pat. However, and judging by this track, it seems that it's easier for a studious rocker to get to jazz from rock than the other way round.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Love Pat. However, and judging by this track, it seems that it's easier for a studious rocker to get to jazz from rock than the other way round.
    Yeah I agree that song doesn’t stand up to the others. McLaughlin sets the standard for integrating rock into jazz. Of course JM learned his licks from Jimi not from Berklee.

I am not really able to discuss how good a song is built up or so...all I can say (for myself) is this song kept my attention by the mood it is in...and it is really catching my attention. For me this is primarily due to the guitar sound...
    But thanks for all your replies...I keep learning and learning through you guys!!