The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Just came across this album the other day…not sure how I missed it…

Man is it good. TBH, I’m not that familiar with Jimmy Herring, except by reputation, but he does complement John well. He seems more of an Allen Holdsworth-type player.

JM is on fire on this album. Great sound. Wish I could have seen it live.

The video doesn’t really do the sound justice. It’s a beautiful recording. Give it a listen.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

BTW if you want some vintage JM with the short nerdy haircut, white coveralls and Gibson double neck, here you go.

User Info Menu

My wife and I were in the front row when JM and Jimmy Herring came to SF for JM’s farewell to America tour. Same lineup as the clip but no second bassist. Truly a great show. I think that the last time that I saw JM previously was at the Bottom Line in NYC in the ‘80s. He was rockin’ the Roland synth then. I take that back. I also saw him when he was just doing acoustic with Shatki. That had to be the ‘90s. Every one of those shows was magical for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Just came across this album the other day…not sure how I missed it…

Man is it good. TBH, I’m not that familiar with Jimmy Herring, except by reputation, but he does complement John well. He seems more of an Allen Holdsworth-type player.

JM is on fire on this album. Great sound. Wish I could have seen it live.

The video doesn’t really do the sound justice. It’s a beautiful recording. Give it a listen.

Even if I didn't like (which I do), JM gets a big thumbs for strapping on a double neck when he is just a few months short of 80.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I saw that same Farewell tour in LA at UCLA. A never forgetter.

Jimmy Herring was in my class at GIT. The day I met him, I was rushing to class, down the narrow halls with my Squier Strat in hand, when I heard someone doing the most gorgeously badass Duane Allman riff in one of the performance rooms. I turn and take a shortcut through that room just to see what's what, and there's Jimmy, leaning against the stage, plugged into one of the Peaveys that populated the school in those early days. I had to stop and just watch, my mouth agape. Jimmy looked up and smiled and kept on playing. This was 1984 and the guy was just a beautifully lyrical player even at that young age. Super nice guy, too. Good natured, friendly drawl.

User Info Menu

Yes, I saw that 2017 Mahavishnu tour as well. Saw it in Austin. McLaughlin turned 75 that year I believe. Herring's band played first and then McLaughlin's band joined them on stage. No offense, but what a difference in level of musicianship between the two bands' rhythm sections, wow. It was like flipping a switch. Herring was/is a very strong player and played long, strong solos.

In late 2016 I saw McLaughlin with Chick Corea at the Blue Note, during Chick's final week of his 75th birthday fall residency there. Chick had half a dozen bands playing with him all fall long there, ending with McLaughlin week. Pretty cool. Dennis Chambers and Jimmy Herring were both sitting at that slightly elevated table against the wall but in front of the stage slightly to the right - best seat in the house. (the 2017 Mahavishnu tour had already been announced by then, and it was going to be JM's final US tour). After Chick/John closed the show we stepped out to get a cab and Jimmy Herring was doing the same. I said - "see you next year!" and he said the same thing with a big smile.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Herring is all over the place: Aquarium Rescue Unit, The Other Ones, Phil Lesh and Friends, the Allman Brothers, his own bands, etc. He seems to be able to fit in anywhere and yet retain his own identity.

User Info Menu

Saw the Heart of Things tour. A bunch of the audience walked out at one point. Not too long after, he and Chambers went full on Coltrane and Ali. Surreal, and easily the greatest live musical experience of my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah
    Saw the Heart of Things tour. A bunch of the audience walked out at one point. Not too long after, he and Chambers went full on Coltrane and Ali. Surreal, and easily the greatest live musical experience of my life.
    Why did the audience walk out?

I saw John once in the early 80's right after Belo Horizonte came out. Katia LaBeque was playing with him. We were seated just a table or 2 away from the stage in this small club in Atlanta.

Great show as I recall. We might have wanted more "heavy" stuff ala Mahavishnu--I don't think he even plugged in an electric guitar that night--but any McLaughlin is good McLaughlin in my book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Why did the audience walk out?

I saw John once in the early 80's right after Belo Horizonte came out. Katia LaBeque was playing with him. We were seated just a table or 2 away from the stage in this small club in Atlanta.

Great show as I recall. We might have wanted more "heavy" stuff ala Mahavishnu--I don't think he even plugged in an electric guitar that night--but any McLaughlin is good McLaughlin in my book.
    I’ve never been sure. The show was at the University of Utah, so, to anyone reading this who was there, please feel free to chime in.

A few people were trickling out, but the swarm happened during Fallen Angels. The group finished the tune, and McLaughlin got on the mic and said something like he promised it would get better. When no one turned around, he wished them well and said he hoped they’d enjoyed the show. A complete gentleman. It’s been a long time, but that’s how I remember it.

If I had to guess? It wasn’t vanilla. It looked to be about a full house, so I’m guessing that most people just hadn’t listened to the album, and had no idea what to expect. Live in Paris is one of my favorite guitar albums, and I listen to it probably once a month. It’s pretty tame compared to what I remember from the show at the U.

Anecdote about Mahavishnu. They were before my time, but they’re one of my favorite bands. I worked with a guy who saw them live as an opener for a mainstream rock/metal band from those days. After the Mahavishnu set, he said everyone was scratching their heads wondering who they just saw, with someone concluding, “Too bad they don’t have a singer.”

User Info Menu

When I saw him in about '71 Joe Walsh opened for him! That was... odd. I saw the orchestra again the following year, and also saw him with Devadip. (that's when I decided I needed a Boogie instead of that big fridge thing with a bullhorn tweeter than Mahavishnu was using)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by osloutah
    If I had to guess? It wasn’t vanilla. It looked to be about a full house, so I’m guessing that most people just hadn’t listened to the album, and had no idea what to expect. Live in Paris is one of my favorite guitar albums, and I listen to it probably once a month. It’s pretty tame compared to what I remember from the show at the U.
    With Gary Thomas in the band, i imagine that would have been an intense experience. Great player, a force of nature!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    With Gary Thomas in the band, i imagine that would have been an intense experience. Great player, a force of nature!
    ^^^ this.

User Info Menu

Saw John in 1971 and the impressions of the opening gong and the intensity of inner mounting flame is something I will never forget.

later that also saw Pat Martin in a small club. Amazing. R.I.P.