The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the video! Those were the days. (Too bad the audio wasn’t a little better).

I really loved McLaughlin’s archtop sound, an escape from the more processed electric sounds, before and after.

Matthew Garrison is/was a beast! He joined McLaughlin later. The Coltrane connection and all that, really pretty amazing when you think about it.

User Info Menu

Wonderful !
    Is it Paco Sery on drums ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Wonderful !
    Is it Paco Sery on drums ?
    Joe Zawinul (kb)
    John McLaughlin (gut)
    Paco Séry (dr)
    Arto Tunçboyac?an (perc)
    Matthew Garrison (b)
    Fareed Haque (r.gut)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Thanks for the video! Those were the days. (Too bad the audio wasn’t a little better).

I really loved McLaughlin’s archtop sound, an escape from the more processed electric sounds, before and after.

Matthew Garrison is/was a beast! He joined McLaughlin later. The Coltrane connection and all that, really pretty amazing when you think about it.
    Actually, I think a more overdriven or processed sound would have worked better with what Zawinul was playing at the time. Although for a more traditional jazz setting I agree McLaughlin’s tone would have been great.

Listened to a lot of Zawinul this weekend, including Dialects. His post-WR work is quite amazing. One wonders where he gets the inspiration for such unusual sounds. How a guy from Hungary could be so conversant in African and other world musics is a real mystery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Actually, I think a more overdriven or processed sound would have worked better with what Zawinul was playing at the time. Although for a more traditional jazz setting I agree McLaughlin’s tone would have been great.

Listened to a lot of Zawinul this weekend, including Dialects. His post-WR work is quite amazing. One wonders where he gets the inspiration for such unusual sounds. How a guy from Hungary could be so conversant in African and other world musics is a real mystery.
    One small correction: Zawinul was Austrian, from Vienna, in fact.

User Info Menu

incredible
    I wonder how many other guitar players could even hang in that situation ?
    it would scare the shit outa me ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    One small correction: Zawinul was Austrian, from Vienna, in fact.
    You know I knew that…he was definitely born in Austria.

But Zawinul is not a Germanic name. I thought I read someplace his family was from Hungary. I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

But Zawinul is not a Germanic name. I thought I read someplace his family was from Hungary. I could be wrong.
    Austria and Hungary are neighboring countries.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Austria and Hungary are neighboring countries.
    I have vague memories from 7th grade history of something called the Austro-Hungarian empire…

User Info Menu

It's not a Hungarian name, either. Googling, the name might be Czech: machata.ch | loukash.com – Interlude: Even Joe has already wrapped it up

Back home in Basel with access to my record collection, I can finally post my little homage to Joe Zawinul who passed away last week. Zawinul’s life is well documented all over the world wide web, so I’ll refrain from repeating what others already might have written much better. Just to create a clearer connection to this blog I’d point out a less known fact that Zawinul, born in Austria in 1932, also had Czech roots: his grand father hailed from Moravia. The origin is also obvious if you look at the literal meaning of the surname Zawinul. “Zavinout” means in Czech “to wrap up” or “to swathe” which is pretty well illustrated by the Czech word for the @ symbol: “zaviná?” (zaviná? is actually a rollmops).

User Info Menu

I have vague memories from 7th grade history of something called the Austro-Hungarian empire…
    .. which was broken up after WWI. When Joe was born in 1932, it was an independent republic. Then the Anschluss came a few years later.