The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38
    joelf Guest
    Same goes for Herbie Nichols, though he got a bit more play. Also did criticism for small jazz zines (he reviewed and GOT Monk early in the game). Died young of leukemia...

Recently unearthed interview:

Last edited by joelf; 10-17-2021 at 08:45 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest

User Info Menu

WKCR just played an entire album of John Hicks. Swinging stuff!

User Info Menu

Current guy I don't think gets enough recognition:

User Info Menu

Lafayette Gilchrist

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    WKCR just played an entire album of John Hicks. Swinging stuff!
    He was a great man. He came to a joint where a friend was playing. I was just hanging out, and the 3 of us were in the same space. My friend, being a smartass, sneeringly said to me 'You know who John Hicks is?' Hicks immediately picked up on the vibe and immediately turned to me and said 'My life is your life'. I was moved enough by this to attend his memorial, which was packed with admiring musicians; fans; friends and family. There was music--- Kenny Barron played We'll Be Together again. Very memorable day.

Everyday people and uncommon musician...

User Info Menu

Jessica Williams might be one of the greatest pianists you’ve likely never heard of. Strongly influenced by Monk, Coltrane, Miles and Sonny, she has a remarkable catalog of recordings.
    One of her recordings that blew me away is called Virtual Miles. It’s a MilesDavis tribute where she plays piano and also all other instruments via MIDI. If you can believe it, the drum programming is very Tony Williams-esque (especially on the tune Anthony Tilman Williams) and the horns really convincing in terms of phrasing, etc.
    Here she is on Piano Jazz.
    Jessica Williams On Piano Jazz : NPR

User Info Menu

Sal Mosca, Vardan Ovsepian, Manuel Valera are a few who I really dig, too.

User Info Menu

Don't know if Joanne Brackeen is off-radar but I have always enjoyed her records and overall musicality.

joelf Guest
    Trudy Pitts. Dunno if she recorded as pianist, but I heard her and it was wonderful...

User Info Menu

Joel mentioned David Varielles.

David Varielles as a teenager contributed to Howard Rees' Barry Harris Workshop (Vol 2).(2002)

David played like a phenom with Jane Bunnett.

Howard Rees is a tremendous piano player. I've heard Barry Harris refer to Howard as 'my son'.

Other Canadian Harris Influenced Pianists:

Lenny Binder
    Robert Rowe
    Liane Fainsinger
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 10-29-2021 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Honestly - Nina Simone
    I don't theenk so...
    Blossom Dearie had some hip voicings.

User Info Menu

Craig Taborn
    D.D. Jackson
    Geri Allen