Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

The man could play clean fast scales.

Here is an excerpt from Ivor Mairants' "My Fifty Fretting Years":

Bill de Arango - wow!-img-0790-jpg

and here is the recording mentioned:

Those guys must have been on speed!

But Ivor is wrong in implying Bill disappeared after this recording. He made a recording with his own band, built around his playing, which is very nice, showing he was much more than a speed merchant:

Here he is with Ben Webster..beautiful:

Bill de Arango - wow!-bill_de_arango-_terry_gibbs-_and_harry_biss-_three_deuces-_new_york-_n-y-_ca-_june_1947_-willi-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

That looks great, Tommo!

User Info Menu

That first cut truly represents the kind of frenetic energy the Be-Boppers gloried in - and yet there is still an underlying groove. "Jumpin' and Jivin'" about covers it. I love it! The contrast with the Webster blues is glorious.
    I note the gentleman wisely transitioned to a part of Da Biz where he might actually make a living.

User Info Menu

Indeed. It's a tough life, then and now, for most musicians. Not for everyone.

User Info Menu

"Those guys must have been on speed"

Playing w cats like Bird and Dizzy will do that to you, better catch up or you'll get smoked.
    There was an in depth article on Bill linked in the forum but I can't find it.

User Info Menu

Doing some jump blues in 1945 with Slam Stewart and Red Norvo that occasionally hints at the rockabilly to come, but still with lots of bop. Bill's solo starts around 1:14

And doing some similar stuff with Ike Quebec, also in 1945. Pretty interesting to hear how much bop he had absorbed this early on, despite being in the Army from 1942-44. And to read that he was playing with Don Byas and Ben Webster so soon after hitting NYC.

Another Cleveland guitar guy, like Jim Hall and Fred Sharp. And his peer Arv Garrison was also from Ohio.
    Last edited by 44lombard; 10-05-2021 at 09:28 PM.

User Info Menu

I’m glad I started this thread!

User Info Menu

Here's how Bill sounded towards the end of his career.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Here's how Bill sounded towards the end of his career.

I did not see that coming!

User Info Menu

Me neither! He went through some changes…

User Info Menu

Bill was a very adventurous musician who never stopped learning and growing. So many musicians find a style and sound and stick with it for the rest of their career but Bill was fearless in jumping over boundries.
    Last edited by AndyV; 11-24-2021 at 06:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh yes Bill was a killer, i have that Lou Mecca Bill de Arango Chuck Wayne Swinging Guitar LP and just when you think oh thats my fave, you hear the next thet are all great Arv Garrison not much recorded tho the king, was Ronnie Singer, i honestly believe if had sat next to Charlie Christian well yeah i wont say it.

The relentless lines i think Raney got a lot of that from Ronnie, very modern or should i say Bebop probably the most hornlike lines i heard from any player bearing in mind his young age, obviously everyone gets more under the hood as it were with age, Charlie Christian was i think six years old than Ronnie Singer

But all good.

spellin kleaned up

Last edited by Durban; 11-19-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: dumbass spelling wilst drinking officer

User Info Menu

So many unsung guitar heroes from that era.