The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Very excited he's in town with his trio! Should be a great show! I'll report back later ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Please do, he's one of the "younger" guys I dig.

User Info Menu

He's definitely one of the most impressive young players I've heard.

User Info Menu

I've seen Julian twice. Once was with Bill Frisell at Royce Hall UCLA. Just the two guys. A big room. A little formal. Great, great show.

The other was in a club up north of Dodger Stadium. Julian in a trio format. Small room. Funky and dark. Standing room only!! And almost everybody except my wife and I were young folks--in their 20s, 30s. (Actually, there were a few stools by the wall, and me being like the only greybeard in the joint, my wife and I shared one, trading off. Ravages of age, you know.) It felt more like a popular rock and blues bar.

Anyways--my point is that it was great to see so many young people coming out to see Julian! Gives me hope for the future of the guitar.

Enjoy the show! Looking forward to your review. I think Julian is in for a long and brilliant career.

User Info Menu

I saw him a couple years ago. You're in for some fine music!

User Info Menu

Hi!
    Well, quick review: It was pretty awesome!

I've never seen Julian live; the show was at a small club, so everything was nice and close, and the sound person did a fantastic job with the mix, so -- awesome!

He played a lot of tunes off "Squint," and the crowd (yep, mostly young guys!) was cheering when they recognized the heads. He had Jorge Roeder on bass, and the fantastic Kenny Wollesen (who kinda stole the show!) on drums -- great band! Julian played his new axe, and sounded wonderful! He is able to go from clear/clean/sweet/gentle, to roaring/nasty/ballsy, all within a second, and I like that vibe (personal preference, of course)!

What I really enjoyed, though, was his sense of "going for it" throughout the show. Too often I've seen super-pros do their thing -- which is always great! -- and they're flawless (maybe too flawless?), but they're not pushing anything, they're just really fantastic. Julian, although the band was certainly well-rehearsed and knew their arrangements, was always pushing it, to:

[Whenever I've seen Sco live, he takes it to the top, and then he keeps going!]

Julian was playing things that I really didn't understand, and my head was quite tickled! I went with my drummer, and he loved everything, too.

If these cats are coming to a town near you -- go see them!!

[and yes, he's asking people to have proof of vax or recent "neg" test, FWIW]

Marc

User Info Menu

I saw him in New Haven a while ago and thought he was great. Dig his stuff with Nels Cline.

User Info Menu

His trio was in Space Evanston last night, excellent tone through his signature Collings guitar into a Vibro Deluxe (Magic Amps) Mostly straight into the amp although he had a small pedal board with a Strymon Flint and a JHC Morning Glory on it. Melodically less accessible tunes but very spontaneous and flawless non-lick based imvprovisation throughout the concert. He is very versatile. Both guitars had Bigsby vibratos but he never used them. Yes he played mostly songs from Squint.

User Info Menu

I saw Julian Lage in London last week. Man, he blew me away. Absolutely amazing musicianship from the whloe trio. What I can't get over is how he plays such incredibly complex lines with enough gain to make his guitar responsive to every little nuance of fingering, and does it so absolutely cleanly. You could tell who the guitarists in the audience were from their gasps of astonishment every now and then.

This guy on you tube captures that speechless amazement perfectly.

If you get a chance to see this tour, I would strongly recommend it.

User Info Menu

I also saw him in London last Friday. What a fantastic show, the only negative thought in my mind afterwards was that it should have been longer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gladders
    I saw Julian Lage in London last week. Man, he blew me away. Absolutely amazing musicianship from the whloe trio. What I can't get over is how he plays such incredibly complex lines with enough gain to make his guitar responsive to every little nuance of fingering, and does it so absolutely cleanly. You could tell who the guitarists in the audience were from their gasps of astonishment every now and then.
    Excellent/accurate description, Gladders!