The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi friends,

I’m looking for some new music to listen to, and I’d like it to be centered around “jazz guitar.” Some of my favorites include Pat Martino, Grant Green, Jim Hall, George Benson, Kenny Burrell, Bill Frisell, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, and Julian Lage…..my tastes are all over the place!

What can I add into the rotation that you recommend? I generally listen to music via Apple Music, so if it is available there, that would be best for me.

thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

John Scofield-all Cds.

User Info Menu

1.)"The Velvet Touch" Lenny Breau
    2.)Pat Martino "Live"
    3.) "Teasin" Cornell Dupree

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chp
    Hi friends,

I’m looking for some new music to listen to, and I’d like it to be centered around “jazz guitar.” Some of my favorites include Pat Martino, Grant Green, Jim Hall, George Benson, Kenny Burrell, Bill Frisell, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, and Julian Lage…..my tastes are all over the place!

What can I add into the rotation that you recommend? I generally listen to music via Apple Music, so if it is available there, that would be best for me.

thanks!
    I assume your favorites above are only examples but I see a lack for 50s guitarist; so here are some recommendations:

Tal Farlow - The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow
    Jimmy Raney - The Master
    Billy Bean - The Trio
    Mundell Lowe - The Mundell Lowe Quartet
    Sal Salvador - Frivolous Sal

I would also recommend Doug Raney - Blues on a Par
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 09-28-2021 at 01:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Sometimes I feel like a parrot.

Johnny Smith - Moonlight in Vermont
    Nat King Cole Trio 1940's has some cool guitar too.

User Info Menu

My recent rotation:

Jonathan Kreisberg, "One" and "Capturing Spirits" in particular.

John Stowell with his trio Scenes (name of the trio, not the album).

Allan Holdsworth "None Too Soon" and "Sixteen Men of Tain"

Bill Frisell and Dale Bruning "Reunion"

User Info Menu

some popular recordings from some artists you listed

Kenny Burrell....Midnight Blue
    Wes Montgomery.......Smokin at the Half Note
    Jim Hall.....Live
    Pat Martino....El Hombre
    Grant Green.....Idle Moments

User Info Menu

Get Me Joe Beck. Pickup band playing standards -- better than you thought it could be done.

Glad to Be Unhappy, which may have Paul Desmond listed as the leader, but that's Jim Hall with him and no piano. This is as good as accompaniment on guitar gets.

After that, something by Wes (Smokin' At the Half Note would be good). What gifts he possessed for melody and rhythm!

and something by Django -- to hear another way to conceptualize jazz guitar. There's a reason that, 80 odd years later, he remains at the center of the style called gypsy jazz.

For a more modern approach, Larry Carleton (check out the Bubble Shuffle video).

Anything by Chico Pinheiro.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci

Raney released 3 trio albums (bass \ drums), in 1975\1976 and all are first rate: Momentum, The Influence and Live in Tokyo.

I love all three but find myself listening to Live In Tokyo the most; Jimmy was just really in a grove when this was recorded (maybe the appreciation of the Japanese audience lit a spark?). My favorite live trio album (with Kessel \ Brown \ Manne, being my favorite guitar\bass\drum trio studio albums).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Raney released 3 trio albums (bass \ drums), in 1975\1976 and all are first rate: Momentum, The Influence and Live in Tokyo.

I love all three but find myself listening to Live In Tokyo the most; Jimmy was just really in a grove when this was recorded (maybe the appreciation of the Japanese audience lit a spark?). My favorite live trio album (with Kessel \ Brown \ Manne, being my favorite guitar\bass\drum trio studio albums).

Yes! That Live In Tokyo vinyl is going to be one of my next purchases.

User Info Menu

Also... the Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert box set from Mosaic. Ed's playing is quietly monstrous. Just astonishing, jaw dropping stuff going on without Ed really calling attention to himself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Also... the Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert box set from Mosaic. Ed's playing is quietly monstrous. Just astonishing, jaw dropping stuff going on without Ed really calling attention to himself.
    He was in top form during those recordings.

User Info Menu

All these choices are wise, but don't forget the one who influenced (almost) all of them : Charlie Christian !

User Info Menu

Joe Pass - Live at Donte’s.

His Pablo catalog is great and full of gems with a number of collaborators of course, but this one is fun because of the live energy.

Joe in his prime in his chosen home, LA.

I was fortunate enough to see him six years later at the “legendary” Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, lol. Front row (front pew, actually). Great times.

Hi friends! Thank you for all of the GREAT suggestions!

As I mentioned before, I am pretty familiar with the catalogs of Pat Martino, Bill Frisell, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Kenny Burrell, and John McLaughlin. I really like them, but want to expand my palette of favorite guitarists….

So far, based on everybody’s recommendations here, I’ve started a few deep dives.

Tal Farlow. Damn, he’s really really great, and I am really connecting with his music. Especially his output from the 1950’s. He has quickly become another big time favorite. I have heard him before, and knew how revered he was. However, and I’m not sure why, I have never really taken a deep listen to his catalog. I’m so glad to be doing it now.

Johnny Smith. Another one I’m really connecting with. I’m absolutely loving Moonlight In Vermont, The Sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar, and Imagination.

John Scofield. I’ve been casually listening to him since the 1990’s, and have the utmost respect for him. I’ve seen him live a few times on both coasts, and have always liked what I’ve heard. He is a very very unique player, with his own unique sound, and I really respect his music. But I’m still not feeling a deep connection to his music. I think my tastes are leaning a bit more traditional at the moment.

Chet Atkins. I kinda stumbled onto his catalog. And I’m glad I did. He’s another guy I’ve never taken a deep dive into, but am doing so now. What a monster! I
    Though I’ve always liked jazz, and was lucky to grow up in a musical house with parents that exposed me to a lot of music, and took me to great concerts (Ray Charles & Dizzy Gillespie, The Beach Boys, Aretha Franklin, The Grateful Dead), I grew up playing bluegrass and old time music mostly. So I think the twang of Chet’s records really rings some of my bells. I also now want a Gretsch guitar, so there’s that too.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall - Live, Jazz Impressions of Japan, Live In Tokyo, Jim Hall's Three

Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life, Question & Answer, Trio 99-00

John Scofield - What We Do, Meant To Be, En Route

Bill Frisell - Live, Further East Further West, Have A Little Faith

John Abercrombie - Witchcraft, Live, Current Events

Wes Montgomery - Full House, Smokin' At The Half Note

Wolfgang Muthspiel - Real Book Stories, In & Out, Earth Mountain

Joe Diorio & Mick Goodrick - Rare Birds

Vic Juris - Eye Contact, Songbooks 1 & 2

Kurt Rosenwinkel - The Enemies of Energy, The Next Step, East Coast Love Affair

User Info Menu

Kurt Rosenwinkel - Deep Song

Wayne Krantz - Two Drink Minimum, Good Piranha / Bad Piranha

Wes Montgomery & Jimmy Smith - The Dynamic Duo

Adam Nussbaum (yes the drummer) - Lead Belly Reimagined (with Steve Cardenas and Nate Radley on guitars)

Jim Campilongo - Orange

Marc Ribot - Y Los Cubanos Postizos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Joe Pass - Live at Donte’s.

His Pablo catalog is great and full of gems with a number of collaborators of course, but this one is fun because of the live energy.

Joe in his prime in his chosen home, LA.

I was fortunate enough to see him six years later at the “legendary” Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, lol. Front row (front pew, actually). Great times.
    So you're the guy that was blocking my view at the Lighthouse! I saw Joe Pass there and it likely was the same concert given the timeframe. One thing I remember was Joe commenting on the impact to his guitar coming to the beach and that (if I recall correctly), he had just come from a very dry climate (Phoenix?).

Never saw Joe at Donte's (I was too young when those shows were going on and not into jazz yet), but I did purchase that album. I never purchased the CD so I haven't listen to that for over 15 years or so (when I gave away all my albums). I'll have to find a way to get this again.

(but I did see many fine guitarist at Donte's, like Tal, Mundell, Howard Roberts, etc..).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Bill Frisell and Dale Bruning "Reunion"
    I had no idea this existed--I'd read interviews with Frisell where he mentioned Dale, but I didn't know they recorded together.

This can be bought or streamed from Qobuz in CD quality, and they also have a 1996 Bruning album ("Tommorrow's Reflections") where he's backed by Michael Moore and Terry Clarke. There's another available where Bruning plays duets with bassist Paul Warburton, ("Our Delight" from 1987, when Dale was a young lad of 52).

There are several others available that don't interest me quite as much, based on the sample audio, but these three sound good so far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    So you're the guy that was blocking my view at the Lighthouse! I saw Joe Pass there and it likely was the same concert given the timeframe. One thing I remember was Joe commenting on the impact to his guitar coming to the beach and that (if I recall correctly), he had just come from a very dry climate (Phoenix?).

Never saw Joe at Donte's (I was too young when those shows were going on and not into jazz yet), but I did purchase that album. I never purchased the CD so I haven't listen to that for over 15 years or so (when I gave away all my albums). I'll have to find a way to get this again.

(but I did see many fine guitarist at Donte's, like Tal, Mundell, Howard Roberts, etc..).
    Cool, so you remember the church pews too. Yeah I probably blocked a few views but felt I had to observe up close as if I were going to learn something important. (Btw, the current menu looks pretty good. You really have to compete hard in the restaurant biz in SoCal).

I kept my LPs but my turntable is out of commission. Anyway, one can listen to the LP on YouTube, if willing to tolerate the less than high hi-fi.

Cheers.