The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently worked on You Turn Me On I'm A Radio tuned to D. What a great tuning. It got me interested in working on more Joni tunes and I found this book that have so many Joni tunes and her massive tunings...

Joni Mitchell Complete So Far: Guitar Sheet Music Songbook Collection by Joni Mitchell - Books on Google Play

and here's how I found it....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had that book for some years and do play a couple of her tunes. But, Joni's music is the hardest I've come across to do 'her' way. For me, any of the tunes that I do work on are in a style that I've come up with on my own or have taken from other artists who have done an interpretation such as Tom Rush who was, I think, the first to record her music [other than Joni]. This book is invaluable in knowing the tunings as well as progressions.

User Info Menu

an amazing body of work..sweet sounding chords..and then..she sings all of this .. but wait !!! theres more!!! then..she plays piano..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    an amazing body of work..sweet sounding chords..and then..she sings all of this .. but wait !!! theres more!!! then..she plays piano..
    Don't forget picking AND FRETTING the mountain dulcimer.

And painting like a boss.

She is sui generis. We are lucky to have had her in our lives.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    I recently worked on You Turn Me On I'm A Radio tuned to D. What a great tuning. It got me interested in working on more Joni tunes and I found this book that have so many Joni tunes and her massive tunings...

Joni Mitchell Complete So Far: Guitar Sheet Music Songbook Collection by Joni Mitchell - Books on Google Play

and here's how I found it....

Cool. Would like to have the book.

And YOU---grow a moustache or something. Whatever it takes to STOP LOOKING LIKE DAN SMITH!! (;

User Info Menu

Canada only sends us their best.

User Info Menu

I think I get all gushy over Joni pretty often here, but this is something I need. She's really one of the most creative minds in music history...any day I listen to Joni is a better day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think I get all gushy over Joni pretty often here, but this is something I need. She's really one of the most creative minds in music history...any day I listen to Joni is a better day.
    Her beauty shines in her words..

The songs from "Ladies of the Canyon" still make me sigh and reflect on then and now..yes.."..he played so good for free.."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    When i read this i thought how apt the term 'gushy' was to describe how all my amazement at her gifts to us rekindled in just hearing the chords to Amelia given above. So i went to the live performance video of Amelia with Pat Metheny (which i saw live) and gushed again over her lyrics, vocal delivery, etc