The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 106 of 106

User Info Menu

On a somewhat related note I was listening to a Lee Ritenour “station” on Apple Music last night—nice stuff, but I kept thinking, when are the really good guitar solos going to start?

Kenny G Is Fine With Some People Hating His Music – Even Pat Metheny-a279c876-14b8-4d62-9c63-d21fae1c7e20-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think Kenny G deserves a tribute band!
    Anyone up for it?

User Info Menu

Btw. Whenever a brilliant musician goes on interviews and starts talking... its 50:50 chance it'll be cringe.
    Musicians are not good talkers. Thats a good thing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    I think Kenny G deserves a tribute band!
    Anyone up for it?
    Only if I get paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    There are actually two Lee Ritenours in this world ... There is the guy that plays on his records be they studio records or live records ... Totally polished, very controlled and leaning to being short and sweet.
    I totally agree. I'm not saying he isn't a great guitarist. I'm not super familiar with his records, but some of his recent ones have been quite good.

It's just that if you listen to an "LR station", you get a lot of stuff which is IMO too polished and buttoned down. Same with Benson--ask Siri or Google to "play George Benson" and you'll get >50% smooth jazz and R and B.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    *Parody set to Let It Be melody, starting:
    When I turn on turn on my car radio,
    Mother Mary punishes me,
    For 3 seconds I hear, Kenny G....
    This is GREAT!!!!

User Info Menu

I'd heard about Kenny G playing over Louis, but I'd never actually heard it.

I found a video on youtube of KG playing along with a video of LA singing Wonderful World.

I found nothing disrespectful about it.

I love Louis' version. Kenny put on a horn part that sort of went with the song. It wasn't necessary, but it wasn't a felonious assault either.

I heard an interview with KG in which he was appropriately modest about his music. He talked about his efforts to improve his playing, not how great he was or how great somebody else wasn't.