The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny's new album is out today.

Recorded live in NYC in 2019, with James Francies on keys and Marcus Gilmore on drums. Mostly new material, with some early classic tunes revisited.

Pat is touring this project through 2021 and 2022 with James Francis and Joe Dyson in the drum chair.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This track took me by surprise!

User Info Menu

Listening to it now!

User Info Menu

Man, what a great record! I feel like Pat's found a new fire in this project that just wasn't there with the previous quartet..

Lodger is definitely a highlight - Pat in Hendrix-mode! Pro-shot footage from this concert was floating around online a while back and Pat played a strat-style guitar with a whammy bar for that tune. Here's a recent interview where he mentions Lodger being inspired by Adam Rogers Pat Metheny Side-Eye – NYC (V1-IV) – Making A Scene!
    Definitely illuminates the 'jazz meets Little Wing' -aesthetic of the tune
    Last edited by ikusan; 09-11-2021 at 03:58 AM.

User Info Menu

On Lodger, Pat is great, of course, but I prefer Neil Young's epic solos vibe on something like Cortez The Killer. I might be alone in this!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Pat Metheny's new album is out today.

Recorded live in NYC in 2019, with James Francies on keys and Marcus Gilmore on drums. Mostly new material, with some early classic tunes revisited.

Pat is touring this project through 2021 and 2022 with James Francis and Joe Dyson in the drum chair.

That blues is the most swinging playing I've ever heard from him. Simple, too, and in the blues element, no flash...

User Info Menu

Nice recording. Pat and the band sound great.

Interesting that Abba is getting more attention on this site than Pat's new effort.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    On Lodger, Pat is great, of course, but I prefer Neil Young's epic solos vibe on something like Cortez The Killer. I might be alone in this!
    Now we are talking! There is Cortez and its countless live versions – and then there is the rest of the music. You are not alone in this, I am with You!

User Info Menu

Yes, but Neil is rubbish at Giant Steps!