User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love Bill and this interview, particularly this bit:

“I remember when I first started to play that tune, I’d always get the comment, “Oh, it’s just one chord.” I hate that, when people say it’s only one chord, it’s only two. That doesn’t mean it’s easy, you know? It’s a pentatonic scale, that’s easy. But to really get it so that the phrases are — and it’s still really difficult for me — the key is to play the tune and keep it intact.”

ALSO don't think I've ever heard or read him curse before that album with Elvin Jones and Dave Holland was recorded in just two days? Great stories.

User Info Menu

Well that was better than most interviews with Bill. Usually he trails off in the middle of sentences, apparently unable to find the words to describe his process.

It's interesting mentioning him, Metheny, Scofield and Stern together. Yes, they were at Berklee in one capacity or another at about the same time but they ended up sounding very different from each other. And yet something all four of them have in common is their overt delight in playing music. A lot of musicians, particularly in jazz, look very stoic and serious when they play but those four seem to always be having a ball.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well that was better than most interviews with Bill. Usually he trails off in the middle of sentences, apparently unable to find the words to describe his process..
    This is why I can't listen to him being interviewed for more than a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well that was better than most interviews with Bill. Usually he trails off in the middle of sentences, apparently unable to find the words to describe his process.

It's interesting mentioning him, Metheny, Scofield and Stern together. Yes, they were at Berklee in one capacity or another at about the same time but they ended up sounding very different from each other. And yet something all four of them have in common is their overt delight in playing music. A lot of musicians, particularly in jazz, look very stoic and serious when they play but those four seem to always be having a ball.
    Contrast it with the Metheny interview on Beato. Such different styles of verbal communication when discussing their music! Metheny is direct, analytical, and articulate. Although I enjoyed the Frisell interview, it is more free-form and sometimes sounds a little ADHD to me (wonder if it at least partly due to interviewing styles). No surprise that their musical styles are also so different.