The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Just listening to Jocelyn Gould's album "Elegant Traveler".

Lovely playing, more or less in the Joe Pass (and others) vein.

The recording sounds oddly level, dynamically, to me. Anybody know whether there was some sort of extreme compression used in recording it? All of the instruments seem to be very level in their loudnesses.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jocelyn is great! I just found her music. Nice playing in a somehow classic mode.

And what a positive energy she gives! Seems like she enjoys every note!

User Info Menu

Jocelyn Gould's CD entitled "Elegant Traveller" is wonderful!

I recently purchased it through her website...Jocelyn Gould

User Info Menu

Very good playing. She obviously loves playing. I'm not used to jazz guitarists smiling - just Jocelyn and Julian Lage...

User Info Menu

JG is awesome...a real old school vibe in her playing that I don't hear in a lot of young players. She's a big Grant Green fan, too, I think.

User Info Menu

The amazing power of a smile!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Very underestimated power in jazz circles!

But hey, didn't Duke smile mostly?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    There's really something to be said for that, as an audience member...watching people have fun is contagious...when you see the musicians having a good time...how can you not?

As for me personally, I'm not good enough to be able to think about controlling my facial expressions as I play.

User Info Menu

A lot of truth in your observation...

User Info Menu

It’s pretty hard to play tensed up when you smile. You can use Those smile muscles to override the scary player face. Practice in front of a mirror. Take your easiest song, so you don’t watch the fingerboard, and force that smile! A lot of people here make that scary face on their videos… you know, the guys who look like they are in massive pain, each note or chord injurious to their life and they’d rather be anywhere but playing jazz on a guitar. Practicing how you come across to your audience (even if it’s your significant other) is part of being a performer.
    (Being honest, back in my classical organ days, mrs jk coined the term ‘Samurai Organist’ cause of the big grimaces I would make in hard passages. Always can count on mrs jk’s honestly.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'm not good enough to be able to think about controlling my facial expressions as I play.
    From my first days as a guitar player (which was when I was 9), I was constantly told by my parents to stop clenching my teeth when I was playing. Apparently, I did it a lot because when I started playing in bands, I heard the same thing from my band mates. It continued (fortunately without adverse effect) into my late 20s, when it just stopped. I don’t know why, because I was never able to shut it down before that, despite constant attention and effort.

I realize now that I probably put too much thought and effort into my playing in my early days. I was often trying to play over my head, both technically and musically - I apparently believed deep inside from day 1 that I could have and should have been able to play like my idols. So I was uncomfortable and frustrated with myself when I should have been realistic enough to be thrilled with my progress and looking forward to continued development.

Now I know that it was my confusion over the difference between being happy and being satisfied. Being happy doesn’t preclude being dissatisfied - you can enjoy the moment while wanting and working to improve it. I didn’t think I should be happy with my playing until I played like Wes or Tony Mottola or Mundell Lowe. Once I reached equilibrium with the fact that I’d probably never do that, and I came to accept that I was making some nice music, I relaxed about the whole thing…….and apparently stopped clenching my teeth as a result. And now I find myself smiling a lot on stage.

Jocelyn Gould sure makes fine music. I hope her smile means that she’s in balance between what she does now and how she’ll develop. That comfort will help her be the best she can be.

User Info Menu

PERFORMERS smile all the time when they're into a groove. From Rockers, C@W, Jazzers, Classical, Funk. It's the joy they feel when playing and examples are too numerous to mention. As a former saxer, you couldn't tell I was smiling since I was playing through a mouthpiece but performing guitarists, myself included, do it all the time . . . however, I can't speak for the "bedroom players" . . . but how much joy can there be playing to the same four walls every day and the Teddy bear Mommy gave you when you were 4 years old?
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. And, all kidding aside, this Covid madness is really wearing thinly on many musician's nerves since there are job openings for musicians ,now, but is it really worth the risk if you're not desperate for the income? Recent studies from around the world have shown that the vaccination is no guarantee from becoming infected or spreading it to others and long-term vaccine protection does vary among the manufacturers. Sorry for the thread drift. M

P.S.S. Jocelyn is the real deal. M

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    PERFORMERS smile all the time when they're into a groove. From Rockers, C@W, Jazzers, Classical, Funk. It's the joy they feel when playing and examples are too numerous to mention. As a former saxer, you couldn't tell I was smiling since I was playing through a mouthpiece but performing guitarists, myself included, do it all the time . . . however, I can't speak for the "bedroom players" . . . but how much joy can there be playing to the same four walls every day and the Teddy bear Mommy gave you when you were 4 years old?
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. And, all kidding aside, this Covid madness is really wearing thinly on many musician's nerves since there are job openings for musicians ,now, but is it really worth the risk if you're not desperate for the income? Recent studies from around the world have shown that the vaccination is no guarantee from becoming infected or spreading it to others and long-term vaccine protection does vary among the manufacturers. Sorry for the thread drift. M

I don't want to be rude or anything but would it be wise to discuss about vaccination elsewhere? Let's dig Jocelyn's music here and talk about diseases elsewhere?

User Info Menu

PERFORMERS smile all the time when they're into a groove.
    Some do, some don't. I've worked with many who appear to be entranced and others whose facial contortions suggest a gastrointestinal disorder. My favorite is my old buddy Jimmy Pritchard, a wonderful and rock solid blues bassist and bandleader who gets so far into the groove that he closes his eyes and rocks back and forth with the beat. We were playing a little club with a little stage called Bayou Blues down in Maryland several year ago. It was before I got my Roland guitar synth, so I was playing 3 part horn section riffs on trumpet through a vocal harmonizer (which works great, BTW) with my right hand and keys with my left. Concentrating on playing different parts in different keys was intense, and I didn't pay much attention to anything but the tune. And Jimmy was so far into the music that he whacked me in the shoulder with his headstock in one particularly dramatic swing and knocked me off the stage.

User Info Menu

others whose facial contortions suggest a gastrointestinal disorder.
    The great Herb Ellis comes to mind.

User Info Menu

My dentist just told me to get a teeth guard and use it when playing. When I play I tense up and really grind them.

Maybe I should just learn to smile like Gould!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Being happy doesn’t preclude being dissatisfied - you can enjoy the moment while wanting and working to improve it.
    That bears repeating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I don't want to be rude or anything but would it be wise to discuss about vaccination elsewhere? Let's dig Jocelyn's music here and talk about diseases elsewhere?
    Hi, H,
    Your admonitions remind me of my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Smith. . . are you a card-carrying member of the thought police?
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, H,
    Your admonitions remind me of my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Smith. . . are you a card-carrying member of the thought police?
    Play live . . . Marinero
    There was no admonitions in the post you were responding to, but there sure are in your 4th grade student reply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    There was no admonitions in the post you were responding to, but there sure are in your 4th grade student reply.

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Play live . . . Marinero

Were you born an insufferable asshole or have you worked on it? That last bit is nothing other than just cruel and mean.

User Info Menu

I posted a video of her here about 2 months ago, and it only got one comment. Go figure! She truly plays the heck out of that Benedetto!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Were you born an insufferable asshole or have you worked on it? That last bit is nothing other than just cruel and mean.
    Geez . . . L,
    Wouldn't it be an insufferable world if everyone thought the same? Here's some advice that will help you have a better day. I hope it works! Its worth the effort! Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Geez . . . L,
    Wouldn't it be an insufferable world if everyone thought the same? Here's some advice that will help you have a better day. I hope it works! Its worth the effort! Play live . . . Marinero

You honestly think your dig at "bedroom players" makes the world, this forum, anyone's life, a better place?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    You honestly think your dig at "bedroom players" makes the world, this forum, anyone's life, a better place?
    See, L,
    You didn't listen to the whole song! Try it again . . . if not, is it too early for Vodka on the rocks with a blue cheese stuffed olive?
    Play live . . . sans bed sheets, mommy's lace curtains , and yes . . . the teddy bear! . . . Marinero