The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Apologies if this has been posted already. I am very interested to hear this new arrangement for the band:

The Bad Plus Reformulates Again, Now as a Quartet with Ben Monder and Chris Speed | WBGO

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    I happily announce that I've joined a top group:

Ever since I got this damn infection I've joined the Bad Pus.

(Now where IS that f^&&*ing mercurochrome? (;

joelf Guest
    OK, seriously:

I admit I've never or rarely heard them, BUT:

Former pianist Ethan Iverson has one of the hippest jazz sites ever. And Ben Monder is a hell of an interesting and accomplished player. Seems like a nice cat, too.

All the best!...

User Info Menu

That sounds really cool--love Ben Monder.

It will interesting to see how this develops. Reminds me of some of the reincarnations of King Crimson--the bar was set very high for each group to come up with a new dynamic.

User Info Menu

Why do they look so stern in their publicity pictures, but so cheerful when they are playing or talking together?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Why do they look so stern in their publicity pictures, but so cheerful when they are playing or talking together?

Bad Plus is marketing. Publicity pix are marketing.

User Info Menu

Of all the music that I've seen from Bad Plus, Iverson, King, Anderson, Monder & Speed . . .

The one that stands out for me was Reid Anderson and Bill McHenry, unamplified bass and tenor in a 30x30' room here in Portland. They have each spent a ton of time on tone production and the chance to perform in an amp-free setting really brought that out in a different way than hearing Bad Plus play to 5,000 people at Newport, or even 175 people at One Longfellow Square.

I once told Reid how much that night meant to me as a listener, but that I get it was just one night among thousands for him. He was like, "Yeah, well . . . "

It just underscores what Jerry Garcia once said: What you hear when you play, what the audience hears when you play and what you hear when you listen back to tape are just three totally separate things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    It just underscores what Jerry Garcia once said: What you hear when you play, what the audience hears when you play and what you hear when you listen back to tape are just three totally separate things.
    Don't forget stoned and unstoned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Don't forget stoned and unstoned.
    I don't think that was an issue for Jerry.

User Info Menu

Curious if anyone here has seen their recent dates and can comment on the direction they’ve taken? Hoping it lives up to the promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    Curious if anyone here has seen their recent dates and can comment on the direction they’ve taken? Hoping it lives up to the promise!

Saw them in Boston. A lot of new material. Wide range of tunes that really showed the band as an ensemble with wide and far reaching repertoire. Ben adds a smart edge, impossible beautiful harmony, groove and rock driven textures and those overtone textures that only he can pull out of a guitar.
    Ben Monder has joined the Bad Plus-screen-shot-2021-11-14-10-03-12-am-png
    They're in Minneapolis Christmas and Boxing day if you're around there then.
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 11-14-2021 at 06:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report! My excitement for the future album continues to build!

User Info Menu

Yes, they are playing I think four nights at the Dakota in downtown Minneapolis.

User Info Menu

Used to live in MPLS. Loved how they’d hold court at the Dakota during the holidays. Definitely enjoy!

(Hopefully I’ll be seeing live music again sooner than later. Thanks for the field reports here!)