The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10
    joelf Guest
    ...and hope some of you will too---if you don't already.

Nancy only lived to be in her early '40s, cruelly felled by uterine cancer when just at the beginning of major fame and earnings. But the recordings and some live TV shows on the link show why: a rare; honeyed instrument and tone---and the passion she conveyed through it, like she was never going to sing again, AND she was singing to you alone.

My faves on the link are the Autumn Leaves/When October Goes medley that Jonathan Schwartz played on his WNYC radio show, and made me pull my car over so I wouldn't lose it and cause an accident. All over a singer I'd never heard of. Then there's Two For the Road and the Charles Grodin show, where the exchanges with Grodin between her singing Bill and Time After Time (both with their verses) shed at least a little light on Nancy LaMott, human being...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nancy+lamott++

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Mods: not sure why this was moved? Guess you had your reasons. (Maybe someone thought I was actually in love with her?)

Seriously, she was as 'song' a person as there's ever been. But whatever...

joelf Guest
    She was a SINGER!!!

This was moved to the wrong page, and IMO shouldn't have been moved at all. Should've stayed in 'The Songs', where I put it...

joelf Guest
    (Grabs bullhorn; cracks knuckles):

MODERATORS: Once again: NANCY LAMOTT WAS A SINGER, NOT A GUITARIST!

If you wouldn't enjoy a grown man crying PLEASE put this back in The Songs---where it was posted and BELONGS.

Thank you---we now return you to your regularly scheduled guitar players...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    (Grabs bullhorn; cracks knuckles):

MODERATORS: Once again: NANCY LAMOTT WAS A SINGER, NOT A GUITARIST!

If you wouldn't enjoy a grown man crying PLEASE put this back in The Songs---where it was posted and BELONGS.

Thank you---we now return you to your regularly scheduled guitar players...
    I highly recommend you play some guitar.

User Info Menu

The singer is not the song.

User Info Menu

Beautiful round, musical tone and intonation. Not traditional "jazz" singing so much but quite lovely nonetheless.

User Info Menu

I usually just click on a saved link to new posts & then middle mouse click on the titles to read what I'm interested in. Don't usually pay attention to the forum category it is posted under. Not sure what other people do of course, but it is certainly easier than going from one category to another for browsing. Anyway, thanks for posting.

joelf Guest
    Thank for the last 2 intelligent, non-wise guy answers.

I think this will be moved once Dirk sees it...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Beautiful round, musical tone and intonation. Not traditional "jazz" singing so much but quite lovely nonetheless.
    Yes---she was a cabaret performer, but loved jazz and I've heard her sing. She was a great purveyor of the GASB, which certainly should include jazz; blues; gospel; ethnic musics---anything PERFORMED here in and by this nation of immigrants. Sadly, the elitists want to cling to Broadway; film and Tin Pan Alley music.

Nancy was pretty MOR---Mercer; Porter; etc....