The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Russell Malone was the guest of Emmet Cohen tonight. He didn't have his L5, instead a Sadowsky semi-hollow, and so sounded very much like... Russell Malone. He can play. Very nice, swinging session. It's available on Cohen's channel, as are the rest of his weekly livestreams. I like them much more than any of the Smalls/Mezzrow livestreams, because the audio and video are far better, professional quality instead of poor amateur production from Small's. The music at Emmet's Place is always top-rate.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

and here's the link

Eddie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fusejaz
    and here's the link

Eddie
    I haven't even listened/viewed yet and I know it will be a treat. LFEP is an awesome stream, EC and his band just kick ass, and Russell is one of my faves. Thanks for the headsup!
    SJ

User Info Menu

Russell looks older than he is. Has he been sick?

User Info Menu

Well he’s 57, also he apparently got worried about his weight and went on a pretty severe diet a few years ago, so he looks a lot different now than he used to.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know who the Bass player is?

User Info Menu

Speaking of Malone I caught this track on the radio last week.

User Info Menu

The bass player is Russell Hall.

User Info Menu

incredible band all round

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Russell looks older than he is. Has he been sick?
    Speaking of “older”, I’ve been a big Russell fan since hearing his first album - when he was one of the group of “young lions”. I remember when he joined the shaved hair set a few years it made him appear older. (Last time I saw him, about 3 years ago at Yoshis, he took a look at my receding hairline and thin top and jokingly suggested I join the the bald club.). I didn’t take his advice. I’m hanging on to my sprigs to the end :-)

He does look a little frail in the video. A post below notes he went on a severe diet a while ago. If that’s the issue I suggest “all things in moderation, including moderation.”

AKA

User Info Menu

This is the interview I read where he mentioned going on a diet:

http://jazzbluesnews.com/2018/11/07/...t-freak-video/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well he’s 57, also he apparently got worried about his weight and went on a pretty severe diet a few years ago, so he looks a lot different now than he used to.
    Generally black men don’t show their age, not always but often. He looked like he was 67.

User Info Menu

Hear Russell play a simple D’Angelico Korean at the last few minutes of this Masterclass. Just superb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Hear Russell play a simple D’Angelico Korean at the last few minutes of this Masterclass. Just superb.

It's just amazing to see him engaging that closely with participants. A true Master, and a true Class!

User Info Menu

I think it was Dianna Krall who said that Russell Malone had taught her a lot about melodic ideas in jazz. Wish I had the source for that.

joelf Guest
    I love everything about Russell's playing, but especially the fact that (well, like myself) he's a tunemeister. He really KNOWS songs---and brings them out, especially in his solo playing.

He's a staunch traditionalist and makes no claims of being an innovator---and so what? Some people do that, and well. Russell is one of those people.

We met at Rudy's Music Stop on 48th St. in '97, but didn't become friends til maybe 10-12 years later. Russell's a guitar freak. One quick story, and if it sounds self-gratifying---well, it sounds self-gratifying:

I was playing Smalls with a trio in '09. There were maybe 10 people in the joint. I opened with a solo piece, as I'm wont to do. It was I'm Always Chasing Rainbows. Finished, heard a 'Yeah, Joel'. Looked out, and at the bar was the speaker: Russell Malone, looking like a million bucks (or as he would say when I tell him that: 'After taxes?')...

User Info Menu

I love the way Russell ends Misty in this video. So beautiful.