The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 111 of 111

User Info Menu

So many names already mentioned. Ray Brown not so far.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    So many names already mentioned. Ray Brown not so far.
    Not so, I mentioned him in post no. 27, and several others mentioned him after that!
    Last edited by grahambop; 08-16-2021 at 12:54 PM.

User Info Menu

How about Ray Brown? How come no one has...

User Info Menu

There's no answer to the question, but I dig Gary Willis and Jimmy Haslip.

User Info Menu

I think NHOP is only mentioned once which is surprising
    unless I missed it , Jaco was not in the favourites, I was
    reminded seeing him playing Piano with Toots Thielemans
    on YT.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    I think NHOP is only mentioned once which is surprising
    unless I missed it , Jaco was not in the favourites, I was
    reminded seeing him playing Piano with Toots Thielemans
    on YT.
    I was going to mention NHOP but got the feeling this thread was about bass players that are still with us.

Anyhow, I would say he is my favorite in that he is the bass player I listen to the most since he was on so many Pablo and Steeplechase recordings. E.g. he played with Joe Pass and Oscar Peterson, as well as many Philip Catherine albums (some that were fusion like the live trio recordings were Philip would play his Les Paul).

A great combination of keeping the time and physical playing in a melodic manner.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 08-20-2021 at 11:47 AM.

I would most likely vote Ray Brown for jazz, Jaco for electric fretless, and Larry Grahm for funk. Dusty for rock.

User Info Menu

I for one absolutely love Ron Carter's tone. I love the way his bass growls.
    Another great bassist not mentioned here is George Duvivier... he's very underrated.

User Info Menu

Ray Brown. BAM, BAM, BAM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Ray Brown. BAM, BAM, BAM.
    With the late great Gene Harris!

User Info Menu

Tonight driving they played a live recording of Ray w a piano trio (might have been w Harris) that was incredible, Ray was talking on that doghouse and the crowd was eating it up.
    I didn't recognize the tune, probably an original, only wish they mentioned the title.
    I only caught Ray 3 times, twice w Milt Jackson, Cedar Walton and Mickey Roker. Last time was in a trio @ the Academy of Music in Philly w Andre Previn and Mundell Lowe. A great night of music, during one of Ray's solos the end pin on his bass slipped and he reached down and fixed it w out missing a beat, to the astonished delight of the crowd.