The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 111

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Man, really wish Beato didn't use such a click bait "GOAT" title as that became the whole point for many (obviously just looking at a lot of these comments!), rather than the great content of the video itself.
    Yes, it's clickbaity, but at the same time to the bulk of his audience who thinks of Flea or Geddy Lee as the GOAT bassist, it's provocative in a good way. It's also a pretty good interview, although a bassist friend of mine told me that RC has given essentially the same interview many times as part of promoting his Autumn Leaves book. If so, it's remarkably spontaneous-seeming for something canned, so more points in his favor in my book.

Anyway, unless I missed it, I don't think anyone here mentioned Paul Chambers, surely a top candidate for GOAT if there is such a thing. Among people still with us, Larry Grenadier, Eddie Gomez, Marc Johnson, and Scott Colley, all among the best ever. Another one who gets relatively little attention is Avery Sharpe, a very original player and technically on a level almost by himself.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love a lot of bassists.

the ones that pop into my head are-
    Charles Mingus
    NHOP
    Charlie Haden
    Steve Swallow
    Christian McBride
    Scott LaFaro

each time I hear these guys they get my attention in some manner without being showy or flashy

User Info Menu

Add Eddie Gomez to that list, and I'm right with you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dlew919
    Living? Certainly Ron Carter. Comes to mind. Victor Wooten comes to mind. Esperanza Spaulding. Tal Wilkenfield. Nathan east. Daryl brown. … a million others. Ok, 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi, D,
    Esperanza Spaulding???? You gotta be kidding.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Of course Paul Chambers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Add Eddie Gomez to that list, and I'm right with you!
    His albums with Chick are legendary. I particularly like The Mad Hatter and Friends. He had a symbiosis with Chick that few bassists/pianists have. Maybe Bill Evans and Scott Lefaro.

User Info Menu

Gomez is great. I really like his recording with bill evans, Symbiosis.

User Info Menu

LOL! It's like a disease.
    My uncle can beat your uncle...

User Info Menu

I recall reading an interview with Frank Zappa in which he mentioned that he preferred playing over vamps to playing through changes.

Zappa was clearly not the epitome of what has been called "a well rounded jazz guitarist".

Not his goal, not his art. Not his genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I recall reading an interview with Frank Zappa in which he mentioned that he preferred playing over vamps to playing through changes.

Zappa was clearly not the epitome of what has been called "a well rounded jazz guitarist".

I had to look up what a "vamp" is and found this: a short, simple introductory passage, usually repeated several times

I don't know about "introductory" but short and simple I get.

I have always viewed a vamp as a one chord passage or two chords at most, repeated until someone yells 'that's enough of that".

I don't know anything about Zappa's compositions but I assume these were not based on just a single vamp.

User Info Menu

pretty typical for a rock jam.no surprise here.

User Info Menu

Non-Foods: Stretching Out With Vamps - Zappa Wiki Jawaka

Zappa wrote this article about vamps.

User Info Menu

Lemmy Rules!

User Info Menu

Did I miss it? Not a single mention of Ray Brown?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Did I miss it? Not a single mention of Ray Brown?

Mentioned several times

Non-Foods: Stretching Out With Vamps - Zappa Wiki Jawaka

Zappa wrote this article about vamps.

Besides the tricky rhythms, you also have to pay attention to where you're going to play a note on the guitar; for instance, C can be played at several different places. But you have something else to worry about, too. You have to say to yourself, "Is C the root?" If it's the root, you've got to play it one way. Is C the 3rd? If it is, you've got to play it another way. Is C the augmented 11th? Well, then it has to be played still another way. And you have to intone it to make it sound like the proper interval of the scale. That's something that many people neglect to do when they're practicing their instruments. You have to think, "What is the function of the pitch that I'm playing? How does it relate to the harmonic scheme that I'm operating in?" Because if you don't play it to sound like the interval that it's supposed to be, then it doesn't get the information across. And the melody works a lot better if you're thinking your intervals in terms of their function in the harmonic climate. That's what makes the difference between a good string section in an orchestra and a bad section. That's why sight-reading isn't usually an effective way to convey a musical idea. You aren't able to get the accents, or you don't get special little vibratos in there that make the piece talk. The idea is to make it talk. So to play my music isn't like coming in to do a quick soundtrack for a TV show. You don't walk in and play the footballs, pick up your double-scale check, and walk away. It ain't like that at all!
    Well worth the short read (if you've gotten this far, that's 1/4 of it).

The tune FZ is referencing here:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Mentioned several times
    Nice article about Ray Brown here: Ray Brown - Jazz Legend Bass Players Corner

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Nice article about Ray Brown here: Ray Brown - Jazz Legend Bass Players Corner
    Fabulous article. Let me say this. There’s only one bassist who was the bassist for all the greats. And he too has over 2000 recordings. Ray Brown’s career was truly special.

And Gary Peacock never disappointed. He too was a musical player.

Fabulous article. Let me say this. There’s only one bassist who was the bassist for all the greats. And he too has over 2000 recordings. Ray Brown’s career was truly special.

And Gary Peacock never disappointed. He too was a musical player.
    Well you would find it fabulous since you are mentioned in the article!

Dizzy Gillespie’s memoir “To Be or Not to Bop” claimed that “Ray Brown, on bass, played the strongest, most fluid and imaginative bass lines in modern jazz at the time with the exception of Oscar Pettiford.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Along these lines, there have been guys who played jazz but also played rock to pay the bills, and that's how people came to know them.
    The name James Jamerson comes to mind.

User Info Menu

The name James Jamerson comes to mind.
    Agree!

Speaking of James Jamerson, this is a great read by author Mr. Licks:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Agree!

Speaking of James Jamerson, this is a great read by author Mr. Licks:

Exactly. And I own that one and several others. Is there another bassist in history who laid down bass lines, while boozed up in the recording studio, that was one take while lying on his back? Jamerson on Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On.

User Info Menu

Here what the great Stevie Wonder had to say about James Jamerson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, D,
    Esperanza Spaulding???? You gotta be kidding.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    What's wrong with Spalding? She is a triple threat, great bass player, great singer, great songwriter/composer.

She plays live, what am I missing?

Maybe not now, but one day she will be included in this conversation!
    Last edited by lang&django; 08-12-2021 at 05:04 PM.

User Info Menu

The late great Bob Babbit on his friend James at the Fender HOF ceremony honoring James.

User Info Menu

Exactly. And I own that one and several others. Is there another bassist in history who laid down bass lines, while boozed up in the recording studio, that was one take while lying on his back? Jamerson on Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On.
    Ha! Bassist, Nathan Watts told me that story years ago.

Attempting to learn Jamerson's amazing technique note for note was a right of passage for many RnB bass players back in the day.