The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

It was around 5-6 years ago I was listening to a jazz radio alongside my friend in a car and they were playing a mid - upbeat tempo jazz recording of concierto de aranjuez (2nd movement). I'll never forget that night, the pianist playing amazing lush chord voicings in the middle of their solo, the flamenco guitarist supporting, and the high energy drums.. it was probably the best thing I ever heard. Unfortunatedly I didn't get a hold of who they were and I tried searching via youtube but wasn't able to find the recording. I fear that its lost to the passage of time... anyone guess as to who they might be? Suggestions welcome

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a CD 'The Very Best Of Latin Jazz' (1998). On disc 2 track12 there is Concerto de Aranjuez with Jim Hall on guitar, Roland Hann on piano, Ron Carter bass, Chet Baker trumpet, Paul Desmond alto sax and Steve Gadd drums. It runs for 19 mins 16 secs. Could this be the one your looking for ?

User Info Menu

Its good stuff but not what I had in mind. I do especially enjoy their other work 'Two's Blues' from the Concierto album. Thanks though

User Info Menu

I hope you find the recording your are looking for. I found this version as a result of this discussion. I am content.

User Info Menu

The Wikipedia page for this piece has a list of artists who have done a rendition of it. You could plug some of those names into YouTube and see if it's the version you're looking for.

Concierto de Aranjuez - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

The Brouwer and MJQ recordings might be interesting.

Maybe I missed it but there was Miles’ sketches of Spain

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    The Brouwer and MJQ recordings might be interesting.

Maybe I missed it but there was Miles’ sketches of Spain
    They are, but nowhere near the OPs description.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nice version with Jesse van Ruller:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    The Wikipedia page for this piece has a list of artists who have done a rendition of it. You could plug some of those names into YouTube and see if it's the version you're looking for.

Concierto de Aranjuez - Wikipedia
    Thanks I've recently been looking via wikipedia/youtube and came across this version. I'm not completedly certain, but this might've been the one or at least very close to it

Point of interest 5:15-7:10

So yeah thanks everyone! I enjoyed the suggestions as well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon
    Thanks I've recently been looking via wikipedia/youtube and came across this version. I'm not completedly certain, but this might've been the one or at least very close to it

Point of interest 5:15-7:10

So yeah thanks everyone! I enjoyed the suggestions as well

I was going to suggest looking at Spain by Chick Corea, but there are probably 200 different versions of that tune out there.

User Info Menu

I'm partial to the MJQ recording

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    I was going to suggest looking at Spain by Chick Corea, but there are probably 200 different versions of that tune out there.

not counting about a dozen versions from last week's Virtual Jam on this forum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm partial to the MJQ recording

The video isn't available here, but if it's the version with Laurindo Almeida, I thought it was too close to the original - sounded like a cut-down version of the original. Brilliant playing by everyone involved, but I'd rather listen to the full orchestral version.