The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Yes, and then I clarified by saying playing only pedal bass on ballads isn't rare. Meaning it isn't ubiquitous. Jimmy Smith frequently played that way on slow ballads. You can hear or see the pedal part, comp part, and melody part. What's inaccurate about that?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not gonna get into a peeing match w you as I dig organ players and really paid close attention to the instrument and players techniques for over 30 yrs, so I'll try to leave it at that, but it's rarer for an organist to use bass pedals only on a ballad than a mix of hand and foot, unless they're playing by themselves or maybe w a drummer only.
    Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part they use both.

User Info Menu

I see. Pardon me for making generalizations based on how the most prominent organists play rather than the semi pro circuit.

User Info Menu

No comment, best of luck w your strict bass pedals on ballads only. btw, I've been on the pro circuit since the 80s, not that that makes any diff.
    You?

User Info Menu

Why are you all mad because I know how my instrument is played? Lol. A bit presumptuous. I'm a hobbyist, but I decided to just focus on foot bass only and I can hold that down from slow ballad to upper med. Not gonna tackle fast tempos yet. I prefer it because you can do cool stuff like backgrounds or call and response with your left hand rather than wasting foot and left hand for bass. I studied players and noticed that they usually use left hand bass but decided not to play that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Why are you all mad because I know how my instrument is played? Lol. A bit presumptuous. I'm a hobbyist, but I decided to just focus on foot bass only and I can hold that down from slow ballad to upper med. Not gonna tackle fast tempos yet. I prefer it because you can do cool stuff like backgrounds or call and response with your left hand rather than wasting foot and left hand for bass. I studied players and noticed that they usually use left hand bass but decided not to play that way.
    My man, I'm not the least bit mad. Like I said I dig organ players, but as a hobbyist you say you know how your instrument is played. If you're playing chords w your left hand and bass pedals along w right hand chords on anything but ballads you're crowding things in a band setting and not leaving any space for a guitar for example. So I'm guessing you don't play much in band settings, but that's ok, not everyone gigs, can, or even wants to. But least you acknowledged what I've been saying all along in your last line of this post. It took awhile, but.....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

All I'm saying and have been since my 1st post is most organ players use pedals and left hand most of the time regardless of tempo, though many don't/can't even use pedals at all unfortunately.

User Info Menu

Yep

User Info Menu

I find that if I slam down a bunch of notes around middle C it sounds muddy even solo. So what I 'try' to do is either play guide tones or thin guide tone-ish chords in that area or play actual little counter melodies. Sounds cool, is thin, and isn't a waste. I've been in combos before but not right now.

That's cool that you're a pro who likes the organ combo format. Do you have any good recordings?

User Info Menu

Hank Garland certainly
    used the bridge pickup. But he was a jazz guy with the heart of a rock n roller.

User Info Menu

I’m sure Ted Nugent did.

Did any of the great old school players ever use bridge pickup on archtops?-cd0d4d53-7c49-4bd6-87d6-f9047d59e51f-jpeg