The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Interesting article:

Bass on top: the Genius of Paul Chambers By David Yearsley

Available here:

Bass on Top: the Genius of Paul Chambers - CounterPunch.org.

“It has been said that the best definition of ‘swing’ can be found in any two adjacent notes played by Paul Chambers: unerring but never clocklike, he made jazz time tangible. There is always intention behind his sublime, subtle distortions anchored in absolute reliability.”

Specifically concerning Paul Chamber’s bowed solo in Yesterdays (Bass on Top): ”tour de force of arco playing” “an elegiac presentation of the Melody from Chambers” “vibrant and virtuosic” “soul searching soloist."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I made a track like Yesterdays, I would never approve it. I would send myself back to the woodshed. And that's as a hobbyist. If I were teaching someone and they played like that, I would tell them yeah no, don't play that in public. You need to get your left hand technique together so you can play in tune like any competent instrumentalist. So PC had a shortcoming, so what? He was basically a kid and did a great job on the playing that he focused on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    His tone WAS a bit nasal on the bowed solos. So was Trane's. And they sound great---like THEMSELVES. This is JAZZ, ladies and germs.

So can we lighten up on the bitchfest? Look for the good---it's healthier...

Those two sentence apply to the initial criticism as well as the follow-up criticisms of the criticizer.

E.g. can one say they looked-for-the-good in the initial criticism?

User Info Menu

Aside: is there any currently active jazz double bass player known for arco soloing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Aside: is there any currently active jazz double bass player known for arco soloing?
    Maybe Clint55, but the guy seemingly doesn't even have a string bass to solo on. So let's check Christian McBride starting at 2.22:

User Info Menu

There are quite a few, but I don’t think anyone is regularly singled out for it.

There’s a good course on it at DiscoverDoubleBass.com

User Info Menu

Terry Plumeri

Passed in 2016.
    Last edited by gcb; 07-27-2021 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes yes yes. The Christian McBride clip is what I'm talking about dang it. It doesn't have to be all grave like classical but you still have to have command of vibrato to phrase well melodically at slow tempos and more importantly, to play in tune. Plus it just sounds nice, doesn't it? Wouldn't you rather hear that pretty music instead of the bass sounding like it's dying?
    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-28-2021 at 01:00 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

John Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    John Clayton

That’s my favorite concert ever on DVD! Live in Paris. Anthony Wilson nearly steals the show with his guitar performance. And the young John Pisano on classical. The great Claus Ogermann makes an appearance. It doesn’t get any better than that concert. Treat yourself and buy the blue ray on Amazon.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    ...The Christian McBride clip is what I'm talking about...
    Did you guys know that Christian McBride's dad, Lee Smith, is a fine bassist himself, right here in Philly? Plays upright and Fender equally well. A gentleman too. We played just last week at a memorial for Sam Reed. He works a lot in Philly & N.J....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    There's simply no end to what a jazz bassist can learn from Michael Moore.
    I sure haven't found it anyway.

He is an endless fountain of melody.
    He is an ass-kicking modern accompanist.
    He makes incredibly challenging things sound easy.
    And everything he does in music happens in the moment.

Thank you again maestro.

User Info Menu

Dave Holland