The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

haha, well he's probably got houses all over the world. But he often seems to be based in his house in Sussex. Apparently Jimmy's son was learning drums at the time, and my son's friend knew him because they shared the same drum teacher. Jimmy was with his son when they bumped into him in the shop, that's how they got talking to Jimmy.

The singer Adele had a house in this area for a few years, I guess the area is convenient for access to London but has some secluded big properties.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    haha, well he's probably got houses all over the world. But he often seems to be based in his house in Sussex. Apparently Jimmy's son was learning drums at the time, and my son's friend knew him because they shared the same drum teacher. Jimmy was with his son when they bumped into him in the shop, that's how they got talking to Jimmy.

The singer Adele had a house in this area for a few years, I guess the area is convenient for access to London but has some secluded big properties.
    Page spends much of his time in Tower House, Holland Park next door to Robbie Williams and they've been locked into a neighbourly feud for years now. Supposedly Robbie plays Black Sabbath over the fence at ear-splitting volume when things get particularly heated (really!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Page spends much of his time in Tower House, Holland Park next door to Robbie Williams and they've been locked into a neighbourly feud for years now. Supposedly Robbie plays Black Sabbath over the fence at ear-splitting volume when things get particularly heated (really!).
    That’s the Sunday supplement version. Sounds like he actually spends his time in Tesco, shopping for tea bags.

User Info Menu

In seriousness, mention of Jimmy Page (who was Beck’s school Buddy) reminds me that so many of these players came through art school not music school. In West london, mostly.

User Info Menu

Supposedly Robbie plays Black Sabbath over the fence at ear-splitting volume when things get particularly heated (really!).
    That would certainly drive me to flee to Sussex.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Same effect. I meant the speed anyway. Heard him do it fast w/the bar...
    LOL no, it's not....You really to listen to his music, because that is NOT AT ALL what I am referring to. It's not a "wiggle" bar the way he can use it. I can't even describe it, but it seems you've already written him off as uninteresting, so I won't waste my time...

There's one good example posted in this thread, but that's just scratching the surface.

joelf Guest
    Guys, can we cool it and get along today? It's my birthday and I'm already getting grief from my mentally ill brother in another state and I can't help him.

Let's all have a nice day. Sorry if I overreacted...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    @joelf you seem to be comparing Jeff to other players to some extent? I prefer to look at it in terms of what he brings to the table which is unlike other players. And there’s a lot that he does that’s pretty individual to him.

It’s about the sound he makes. I think he’s imaginative, very right brain - he plays guitar like a painter; he also seems to very interested in imitating vocals.

I’m not sure he knows a thing about theory. He does things other players wouldn’t do. It’s not a jazz aesthetic or even a fusion one, because those players are more concerned with note choices and rhythmic pocket etc. Jeff on the other hand seems interested in sound and expressiveness of the notes he plays, which might seem a bit much or overwrought I guess if it’s not your taste.

i always liked his solo on this cut, long before I realised it was Beck; simple but has some classic Jeff Beckisms in it. That bit at the end where he doubles the vocal with harmonics is pretty cool…

i recently heard someone trying to imitate Bechet’s vibrato on a strat and it sounded like Beck haha
    That record is seminal to me. Every note is genius---ALL of it.

(FWIW I recorded both Lookin' For Another Pure Love & Blame it On the Sun---just to let yiz know how much)...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    LOL no, it's not....You really to listen to his music, because that is NOT AT ALL what I am referring to. It's not a "wiggle" bar the way he can use it. I can't even describe it, but it seems you've already written him off as uninteresting, so I won't waste my time...

There's one good example posted in this thread, but that's just scratching the surface.
    I 'wrote him off as uninteresting;? What thread did YOU read? The whole point was HOW interesting he is.

Jeez...

joelf Guest
    Apologies, Joel. I wasn't trying to educate but just reminding you of that tradition. We're back into lockdown down here so maybe feeling a little stir crazy.
    Thanks. All cool...

joelf Guest
    Sorry to everyone if I acted like a dick at all. Jeff Beck is great & unique. I was thinking out loud about misgivings I had through the years. In the end he's marvelous---a melodic master and a musician who has only grown.

Going through some stuff right now---moving; new career twist; drama with my bro ON MY GODDAMN BIRTHDAY!!

Bless all good players. They make life more worth living!...

User Info Menu

Buzz Feiten is also on that Stevie Wonder Track.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Buzz Feiten is also on that Stevie Wonder Track.
    'Buzzy' back then---and still a hero...

User Info Menu

Guys, can we cool it and get along today? It's my birthday and I'm already getting grief from my mentally ill brother in another state and I can't help him.

Let's all have a nice day. Sorry if I overreacted...
    Happy Birthday, Joel! ...and many more:

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Happy Birthday, Joel! ...and many more:
    An Old Jew---67

AND I don't look a day of 66 5/6!...

User Info Menu

Sorry to everyone if I acted like a dick at all. Jeff Beck is great & unique. I was thinking out loud about misgivings I had through the years. In the end he's marvelous---a melodic master and a musician who has only grown.

Going through some stuff right now---moving; new career twist; drama with my bro ON MY GODDAMN BIRTHDAY!!

Bless all good players. They make life more worth living!...
    No troubles, Joel. Happy birthday and best of luck with it all!

joelf Guest
    No troubles, Joel. Happy birthday and best of luck with it all!
    It was wonderful: the place I had planned to go to had a power outage, but plan B turned out better: a singer-songwriter open mic. Played; sang; heard a happening group; got free birthday quaffs for me and my bud; and I think I copped a brunch gig for a group I've been trying to launch. Beautiful day---and thanks, gents...

User Info Menu

Funny thing, comparing Beck and Santana. To me they play different languages. One of them adresses your body the other adresses your brain, so to say. One of the pieces where Becks technial playing really shines and lifts the listening experience up a level is Water's Amused to Death. Besides his expression it is technically fascinating that he can play the guitar to act as a cross-over between saxophone, theramin, synthesizer and (of course) electric guitar. IMO that is.

User Info Menu

... and happy birthday

User Info Menu

Man I totally dig JB and while my favorites are BBB, Wired, and There and Back, I also love the Jeff Beck Group stuff and a lot of other stuff he's done. Not into the techno stuff, but he's entitled to grow in whatever direction he wants and I respect anyone who does that. What I don't care for is how in many of his live recordings, he seems like he's trying to race to the airport to catch a plane. So much of what I love about his playing is pace, tone, and phrasing. Goodbye Porkpie Hat, The Pump, Led Boots, Star Cycle, and on an on. Tasty beyond belief, in the pocket, groove...each is different but equally moving. Live...often...that's all gone. Just jet through the tune...no pacing...no feeling...and...next tune. I don't get it. It may very well just be me and I accept that. It's just an observation. I still love and respect the guy...he's the reason I began playing guitar. I feel like Scott Henderson picked up that torch and turned it up a thousand degrees. Scott would be the first to say he's nowhere near Beck, but I'd respectfully disagree with him. I have in fact...both very cool and very different guys who don't compromise their art. RESPECT!