The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I just wantched it completely.

i really love Sco's approach... how he sounds a bit raw with all that.
    i like his reciting lyrics over comping loop idea..
    I like how he did backwards chord changes on Blue In Green...

And I like how he communicates with no pretensions an dambitions like he is at home with friends..

So great he came up with his solo gig conception finally

User Info Menu

I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.
    I was a bit surprised to see/hear him use the looper so much. Among the highlights of Scofield band gigs are those moments when he'll weave in and out of the tune acapella before the band comes in. Somewhere between an intro, stating the melody and ad libbing over it, in that inimitable jagged way of his. I expected more of that.
    I like the use of the looper though. I suppose he could accomplish the same thing with tracks, but a looper seem to make it more of a live thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.
    I was a bit surprised to see/hear him use the looper so much. Among the highlights of Scofield band gigs are those moments when he'll weave in and out of the tune acapella before the band comes in. Somewhere between an intro, stating the melody and ad libbing over it, in that inimitable jagged way of his. I expected more of that.
    I like the use of the looper though. I suppose he could accomplish the same thing with tracks, but a looper seem to make it more of a live thing.
    yes.. his intros/outros...

I also think that pre-recorded loops would have deprived it of a live spirit...

I think that probably he conciously chose to use more looper..
    probably being a bit worried that he could not keep up a whole set totally alone as this is not his typical format.

I do not doubt his mastery and I am one of those who would appreciate such a set...
    but Sco seems to be down to earth and practical guy and I think he really could have come up with it on that practical reason.

And also Sco does things for fun... and playing with the looper is fun)))

User Info Menu

Ever wonder what someone like Sco sounds like in his own living room?
    Beautiful

User Info Menu

I think if a person who has no idea who Sco is..may say "..he doesn't play very well..and sounds out of tune.."

we now live in a time where we can hear and understand the birth of "modern" jazz and its evolution - post modal/harmonic fusion..

without knowing the history of the music one may not hear or understand how the extreme ends of "jazz" can be related..if joe pass is jazz..what is john mclaughlin playing?

I like that the borders are melting and commercial oriented genre labels are not accurate in describing music in a nice form shaped box. Some may say..Miles/Kind of Blue
    opened the door to a new way to compose and play music once called jazz (Miles -and others- have said he didnt like the term--I agree)

Scofield has elements of many styles in his playing folk..rock..country..blues..and free form..he has influence my approach to playing alot

I am glad I had the great fortune to see him with Miles in a fairly small venue in Los Angeles--a friend called..."hey..I have four tickets for Miles Davis and I dont like jazz..do you want them??.."

I think if a person who has no idea who Sco is..may say "..he doesn't play very well..and sounds out of tune.."
    I talked about it with a friend too... mostly people cannot make judgement with direct perception, they need some preliminary credits and then they open their ears and hearts (or even that not always and they just nod wit hsppreciation without getting the stuff)...

This is a sad a thing... we miss many valuable things because of this...

I appreciate Sco does that thing and does not hide behind professional settings...
    he shows what the musicianship is...
    music starts at home, not on the stage

And he announced solo album release in 2022.
    We convinced him finally))))

User Info Menu

I wish this video was still watchable!!!

User Info Menu

Here's at least one tune:

(not my video, but I was at the show).

This is a fresh one, I put it in another thread too...

User Info Menu

Anybody taken the time to figure out Sco's loop (the chords and voicings) on Wichita?

User Info Menu

Could somebody educate me on his pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by michael_s
    Could somebody educate me on his pedals?

User Info Menu

Thank you, I know the (old) rig rundowns - maybe I should have been more specific: Does anybody know which pedals/looper he used in the recent solo concerts? I sat front row at the show in Vienna but I could not make out the boomerang that can be seen in the Elbphilharmonie interview:

Seems like he used a kind of expression pedal though...

User Info Menu

I believe he uses the first generation Boomerang for looping

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen

we now live in a time where we can hear and understand the birth of "modern" jazz and its evolution - post modal/harmonic fusion..

without knowing the history of the music one may not hear or understand how the extreme ends of "jazz" can be related..if joe pass is jazz..what is john mclaughlin playing?

I like that the borders are melting and commercial oriented genre labels are not accurate in describing music in a nice form shaped box. Some may say..Miles/Kind of Blue
    opened the door to a new way to compose and play music once called jazz (Miles -and others- have said he didnt like the term--I agree)

Scofield has elements of many styles in his playing folk..rock..country..blues..and free form..he has influence my approach to playing alot

I am glad I had the great fortune to see him with Miles in a fairly small venue in Los Angeles--a friend called..."hey..I have four tickets for Miles Davis and I dont like jazz..do you want them??.."
    Miles was certainly groundbreaking in his modal approach, and also his free-form way of ensemble composing, i.e., jam sessions. And of course McLaughlin and Scofield learned from the master...

I was listening to the In a Silent Way sessions the other day--revelatory. Miles just told McLaughlin to play "like he didn't know how to play guitar". The stuff he and the other musicians come up with is incredible. The Round the Corner sessions is also very rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_s
    Here's at least one tune:

(not my video, but I was at the show).
    I like how he does the percussion stuff--will have to borrow that for my looper.

Is it just me, or is he looking more and more like older Jim Hall with a long goatee?

User Info Menu

Someone has posted 3 photos of his pedals from a recent UK solo gig on Reddit:

John Scofield live solo @Jazz Cafe, London, UK. : guitarpedals

User Info Menu

That little percussion riff he does in "Back Home" is very clever. Sco has come up with some new ways to use the looper. In one YT video he plays the chords to a standard in reverse order then hits the reverse button on the looper so they then play in the right order but with that backwards sound and then solos over that.

Bill Frisell is a genius with his Line 6 DL4.

This may be around the time Scofield starting messing with looper. We all got loopy during the beginning of the pandemic An underrated latter day Grateful Dead tune: