The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

JM in high spirits and at his entertaining best.

[Why the interviewer saw fit to divide it up into small chunks beats me.]
    Also he [the interviewer] seems a bit astray on some of the chronology of John McLaughlin's career for such an avowed fan.

Buy hey, I found the outcome to leave me inspired to continue on.
    Hope some others find likewise.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

not liszten to it yet..his early days behind the counter of a guitar store...

User Info Menu

Wow. A gold mine.

Hearing those stories straight from the source, with accurate reflection and honest sentiment as opposed to third hand information from some jazz history book. This is a treasure.

Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

If you only have time for one of these excerpts, watch the last one of the interview: Improvisation, which essentially sums up JM's philosophy of playing music.

joelf Guest
    Good stuff. No Jimmy Raney, huh? Probably Jimmy didn't dig him either.

Funny how people once at the vanguard end up being filed under 'reactionary' The way of the world.

Miles tried to always be on the edge. Sometimes it worked, sometimes to me it sounded forced---but the effort and application of his great creative spirit are inspiring...

User Info Menu

He talks about Bistro music...reminds me of a guitar player in Edinburgh who had a bistro gig, and one day who walked in? John, Paco, Al di Meola. Imagine trying to play a single note!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    He talks about Bistro music...reminds me of a guitar player in Edinburgh who had a bistro gig, and one day who walked in? John, Paco, Al di Meola. Imagine trying to play a single note!
    No pressure, lol.