The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

The main songwriter for The Band was born on this day in 1943.
    So many great songs.

Do you have a favorite one or several?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of my favorites, with Richard Manuel on lead vocals.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Happy birthday RR!

Great talent, and part of the “glue” that held the disparate parts of The Band together.

I know some people diss him because of the giant chip on Levon’s shoulder, but without RR, no Band. He wrote the songs and played the melodies on the guitar. A great talent.

The documentary he helped produce—Once We Were Brothers—sheds a lot of light on the complex relationships in The Band. They were a volatile mix, and only RR and Garth are still around to represent the glory that was.

Robbie did not write this but its from Big Pink Its one of my early faves from the Band who were the Hawks when I first heard of them

The Cate Bros Live With Delbert McClinton better to see Live Music Cates were opening act for the Band often drummer was Levon H. cousin

User Info Menu

I really liked this Robertson 80's album. My dad played it a lot when I was a kid.

Love the Band too. Kind of responsible, with a few others, for the whole genre of what we call "roots rock," which is a bunch of my favorite stuff.

User Info Menu

The drama of credits aside “Chest Fever” is my favorite from Big Pink. His Storyville album is really good IMHO. “Showdown at Big Sky,” “What About Now,” “Somewhere Down the Crazy River” and “Go Back to Your Woods” are all great songs IMHO. RR has always been one of my favorites.

Jeff beat me to it. Dude, I hope that I am not old enough to be your dad.
    Last edited by lammie200; 07-05-2021 at 11:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Robbie did not write this but its from Big Pink Its one of my early faves from the Band who were the Hawks when I first heard of them
    Always loved that old Lefty Frizell song. The Band did a great version of it.

User Info Menu

"Ophelia" is another fave.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I know some people diss him because of the giant chip on Levon’s shoulder, but without RR, no Band. He wrote the songs and played the melodies on the guitar. A great talent.
    The Band was a band with three great lead vocalists. Robbie wrote great songs but if he had been the lead vocalist on "The Weight" or "The Shape I'm In" or "Stage Fright," those songs would not be regarded as the classics they now are. The Band was more of a vocal band than a guitar band. (Garth and Richard were both better musicians than Robbie----Levon said he could always count on anything Richard wrote to have at least two time / feel changes in it. "Jawbone" above is a great example---Richard and Robbie wrote that one.)

I like Robbie, a lot, he is a hero of mine, but I think he underestimates the contribution of the rest of the guys to the great music they all made together. (I don't think any of Robbie's solo work approaches the greatness of The Band's best work.)

User Info Menu

His guitar playing on Dylan’s Going, Going, Gone, is among the best I’ve ever heard. Planet Waves album.

User Info Menu

Someone mentioned "Chest Fever" above, a showcase for Garth Hudson. Couple interesting articles about him, his musical background and his instruments.

Keyboard Magazine: Garth Hudson

Kerrin Worsfold: Garth's Gear - The Classic Years

Garth Hudson : the most brilliant organist in the rock world – Musica Kaleidoskopea