The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

New interview from the Dr. Jazz Talks interview series, this time Bill Frisell – fantastic guitarist and composer, one of the best and most original jazz guitarists ever…

There is talk about Bill's beginnings and influences, playing solo guitar being a bandleader, his last album Valentine, playing with Paul Motian, Ron Miles, Charles Lloyd, Thomas Morgan and others, his improvisational and compositional approaches, etc…

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

yeah, I agree...such a creative and powerful musician and person!

Jules

User Info Menu

Anybody catch his solo performance on the Village Vanguard stream this weekend? So intimate and personal, it was like an interview done in music. His music, the way he talks, his life, he's got poetry in everything.

I used to love the way Bill could make his SG Gibson sound like a pedal steel by bending the neck a little.

Heres one of Bills favorite teachers. He is out of Denver,Co.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I used to love the way Bill could make his SG Gibson sound like a pedal steel by bending the neck a little.
    He'd hold the neck of the guitar on a chord or note with his left hand, press the body of the guitar against his body and turn the whole guitar into a whammy bar. That, and a volume pedal with compression gave him an unguitaristic guitar sound that no bank of effects could achieve these days. It became so much a part of his sound that he decided to completely re-define his sound. Confront the space with the silence that comes after the natural decay of an acoustic guitar. Talk about not letting the past define your future...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Heres one of Bills favorite teachers. He is out of Denver,Co.
    Another of Bill's close mentors, Jon Damian. You can hear his approach in Bill's slides and the way he approaches the neck.

When I was a young music student I heard about Jon Damian suggesting to his student to conceive and execute musical pieces based on stories they had recently read in the news. I guess that would be called "program music". Thanks for the fabulous Rubber Guitar Video it is really Beautiful!!! Jon is certainly a very talented man!!!