The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Just thinking about the late Rick Stone the other day and played my favourite album of his several times during the day. Brooklyn based and well known and respected in NYC. A great teacher by all accounts. Certainly generously gave of his time and knowledge on line. The album.........................

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rick was a friend. I had the opportunity to play a number of gigs with him playing bass function on cello. Rick left a fair amount of recorded material in the can and as I understand that is gradually being sorted through and hopefully to be made available. Rick seemed to know close to everybody in the NYC jazz guitar scene and many showed up to play at the two shows played in his honor, one while he was still alive and one afterwards.

User Info Menu

Rick was a great musician, and great person. His facility on the instrument really opened up when he switched to the D'A copy.

User Info Menu

Rick was a generous contributor to rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz back in the day. I never met him but enjoyed online discussions with him. And there is still a lot of his stuff on the 'tube.

Rick Stone - YouTube

Some of his later videos about his brain cancer are tough to watch. His music is easy to watch, though.

User Info Menu

Met him @ a guitar show, nice guy.

User Info Menu

I hope some recordings are released. Does any know if there is a "Fractals" CD available anywhere.
    Thanks for posting this. This forum has turned me on to a bunch of artists that I have not heard of. Grateful for this jazz guitar community.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Met him @ a guitar show, nice guy.
    I met him at a guitar show, too. It was in the morning, and I had a late night gig the night before, and overslept, so I didn't have time to shave or shower.
    Rick was playing a duo with another player, I tried to speak to them afterwards. The other guitarist just kind of walked away from me, but Rick put up with my just woke up, smelly appearance, and we had a nice conversation.

User Info Menu

Rick was a top-tier player and a truly wonderful cat. Here's hoping we get to hear more examples of his great playing

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    I hope some recordings are released. Does any know if there is a "Fractals" CD available anywhere.
    Thanks for posting this. This forum has turned me on to a bunch of artists that I have not heard of. Grateful for this jazz guitar community.
    Review here: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/fractal...cclenaghan.php

CD: https://www.importcds.com/rick-stone...s/700261330808 Have you checked out Amazon or maybe Rick's old site. Several others around including two with sax player Bobby Watson. Talented guy.

User Info Menu

Amazon UK has copies of the ‘Fractals’ CD, also has MP3 downloads. Itunes also has it. Don’t know about Amazon US but worth checking.

I have Fractals, I think I purchased a download years ago from Rick, then burned it to CD. It’s excellent.

Rick’s demise was very sad. I think I read somewhere that he wondered if it could have been caused by toxic dust fallout after the 9-11 attack (I believe he lived nearby at the time).

User Info Menu

The few survivors of the Lord Valve rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz Plague should have a memorial for Rick.

User Info Menu

Oh, don't mention LV. The personification of the Robert Hunter lyric "the reckless are out wrecking."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Oh, don't mention LV. The personification of the Robert Hunter lyric "the reckless are out wrecking."
    At least his boy lost.

User Info Menu

I met Rick through rmmgj and am fortunate to have gotten to hang with him in person as well. A fantastic guy, whose love for music was totally infectious.