The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I have been listening to Midnight Blues for some years now and play a passable version of Chitlins Con Carne ( it is said! ) but never really dug into KB's back catalogue. Can anyone please make recommendations. Thank you in advance. David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of my favorite album by Kenny Burrell is Soul Call; I highly recommend it.

User Info Menu

Get one of those inexpensive box sets that are available. I have yet to encounter a K.B. album that is not worth listening to.

User Info Menu

I too listened to Midnight Blue for many years before buying more Burrell. I bought Soul Call next, due to a recommendation here, but did not like it nearly as much. I now have 10 Burrell albums, and none are as good as MB: that is his masterpiece. However, the 3 albums I like "next best", so far, are:

A Night at the Vanguard
    Blue Bash (with Jimmy Smith organ)
    Bluesy Burrell (with Coleman Hawkins' sax on half the tracks)

User Info Menu

Blue lights, Men at Work (night at the vanguard) All Night Long, Round Midnight, On View at the 5 Spot, Bluesy Burrell, Soul Call, man...hard to just not list everything.

Also, great KB as a sideman, The Hawk Relaxes, Hustlin' with Stanley Turrentine, and of course the Kenny/Coltrane album too.

You can't go wrong with Kenny.

User Info Menu

Kenny is instantly recognizable. The interesting thing about him is he rarely smokes the place up with notes.

It’s almost like he’s saying, I could throw some more notes in there, but I won’t, cause this here is ALL THE NOTES IT NEEDS.

User Info Menu

This is a personal fave w/ Basie sidemen Frank Wess on flute and the inimitable Freddie Greene on rhythm guitar.....chunk, chunk....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOPGUN860
    One of my favorite album by Kenny Burrell is Soul Call; I highly recommend it.
    Many thanks - will give it a listen.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Blue lights, Men at Work (night at the vanguard) All Night Long, Round Midnight, On View at the 5 Spot, Bluesy Burrell, Soul Call, man...hard to just not list everything.

Also, great KB as a sideman, The Hawk Relaxes, Hustlin' with Stanley Turrentine, and of course the Kenny/Coltrane album too.

You can't go wrong with Kenny.
    Thanks Jeff.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I too listened to Midnight Blue for many years before buying more Burrell. I bought Soul Call next, due to a recommendation here, but did not like it nearly as much. I now have 10 Burrell albums, and none are as good as MB: that is his masterpiece. However, the 3 albums I like "next best", so far, are:

A Night at the Vanguard
    Blue Bash (with Jimmy Smith organ)
    Bluesy Burrell (with Coleman Hawkins' sax on half the tracks)
    Thanks for that.

David

User Info Menu

Thanks TOMMO ( album recommendations ).

David

User Info Menu

Although I thoroughly enjoy anything Kenny recorded, the ones in my collection that beat all others are Midnight Blue and All Night Long (recorded live at the Village Vanguard at September 17, 1969).

User Info Menu

+1 on the Coltrane/Kenny album.

I love Kenny. There is, however, something about his legato playing that seems a bit “off” sometimes. For me it’s analogous to a slight speech impediment - an occasional slur. I’ve always thought he doesn’t pile on a bunch of notes to minimize that in his playing.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Although I thoroughly enjoy anything Kenny recorded, the ones in my collection that beat all others are Midnight Blue and All Night Long (recorded live at the Village Vanguard at September 17, 1969).

Oooh! This one I haven't heard of...

User Info Menu

I read somewhere that Kenny’s own favourite of all his albums is ‘Guitar Forms’, it is quite varied, with nylon-string guitar as well as electric, and some arrangements by Gil Evans.

Guitar Forms - Wikipedia

Last edited by grahambop; 06-26-2021 at 12:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Guitar Forms is one I can not- and have tried- to get into.

User Info Menu

K.B. Blues is early KB

Weaver of Dreams is interesting--KB sings on that one, and I quite enjoy his voice

The Ellington is Forever albums have some great straight ahead playing

And for some GREAT organ stuff, look no further than the Crash compilation. Jimmy Smith is a great soloist, but Jack McDuff... that man could make anyone swing. Jack and Kenny, sounds like a nice libation for this summer heat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    This is a personal fave w/ Basie sidemen Frank Wess on flute and the inimitable Freddie Greene on rhythm guitar.....chunk, chunk....

Love that song. Boy do those guitars sound great together.

Interesting choice of guitars for album cover…Danelectro and Stella? Going for the youngs I guess.

User Info Menu

A must have for the Holiday is "Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas" by Kenny Burrell. It is the best Christmas Album ever! Do yourself a favor and get it, you won't be disappointed.

User Info Menu

Here ya all go: 15 pages of Kenny Burrell albums:

Results of your search for "Kenn... | High-quality Music Downloads | 7digital Canada

enjoy.

Doug

User Info Menu

Don't miss the albums he made with his D'A New Yorker in the 70s. i caught him live in that period, and his sound was incredible, both live and in the studio.

User Info Menu

There's some great bluesy funk in the recommendations so far. But here are a few of the more mellow KB albums that I love. Lotus Blossom is a wonderfully played set of standards with bass and drums:

Next, I suggest Stolen Moments. You can get this 2 CD album for about $12 new from Amazon and other sellers, and it's all on YouTube:

And here's a great one that he made with Hank Jones and Barry Galbraith. I can't find a YouTube clip from it, but it's on both Spotify and Amazon Music. And you can get the CD used with little difficulty.

User Info Menu

One of my top KB albums, mainly for the title suite, but all good stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    this here is ALL THE NOTES IT NEEDS.
    Like Mozart :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ... and of course the Kenny/Coltrane album too.
    There are two: Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane, and The Cats. Both of these are two of my favourites, not just because of Coltrane but the chemistry between the players is so strong. There're a few years between the sessions/albums and listening to the two of these and how the time between the sessions changed them makes these two an interesting set. Coltrane in his prime mid period with a guitarist, with Kenny, that's a huge thumbs up.