The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Playlist. As good as it gets

Your browser is deprecated. Please upgrade.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    Playlist. As good as it gets

Your browser is deprecated. Please upgrade.
    what does that mean? I posted playlist link straight from new YouTube channel

User Info Menu

Don't know, but your link works.

I love Dinah. Her two "jam session" records are my favorite vocal jazz records ever.

User Info Menu

Don’t know what up with browser message. Anyway Dinah is such a great listen. She sounds a lot like Billie in places on Crazy He Calls Me and what some great players she has and if I don’t have the two sessions you’re talking about I need them

User Info Menu

What browser are you using? Internet Exploder is definitely deprecated, and shouldn't be used. There are far better browsers available. I like Firefox, but the choice is wide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    Don’t know what up with browser message. Anyway Dinah is such a great listen. She sounds a lot like Billie in places on Crazy He Calls Me and what some great players she has and if I don’t have the two sessions you’re talking about I need them
    I just browsed your playlist quickly...you have Dinah Jams all in there...the other record I'm thinking of is After Hours with Ms. D.

I think no vocalist in history could pronounce a word more clearly than Dinah.

User Info Menu

I have an iPhone 11 but using Chrome

User Info Menu

Well, I dunno then. I've never used an iphone, but I do use Chrome on my chromebook. I don't know how well it mates with iThingies. Maybe it was just a matter of the wrong cosmic waves hitting at the wrong angle at the wrong time.

User Info Menu

Great singer, I have a number of her records and a box set of 9 cds on Mercury that also includes her r & b material.
    One of the bandleaders I work w/used to gig w/her in the late 50s early 60s

User Info Menu

There would have been no Esther Phillips or Diane Schuur without DW.

User Info Menu

The best! And, here's her signature song:

Love you, Dinah!! None of today's parakeets can even come close to your talents.

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

A singular talent for sure.

Married 6 times by the time of her death at age 39…she wasn’t one for small talk, I guess.

Bit of trivia - her last husband was Dick Night Train Lane, great football player for the Detroit Lions in the 50’s and 60’s. He spent time in Council Bluffs, IA, where I work, and went to college in Scottsbluff, NE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    A singular talent for sure.

Married 6 times by the time of her death at age 39…she wasn’t one for small talk, I guess.

Bit of trivia - her last husband was Dick Night Train Lane, great football player for the Detroit Lions in the 50’s and 60’s. He spent time in Council Bluffs, IA, where I work, and went to college in Scottsbluff, NE.
    Like Nick Drake, she OD'd on TCAs. If they had SSRIs back then, both of those incredibly talented people would still be alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Like Nick Drake, she OD'd on TCAs. If they had SSRIs back then, both of those incredibly talented people would still be alive.
    Actually she accidentally overdosed on barbiturates she used as sleep aids. Not hard to do, as the “therapeutic window” of those drugs is narrow.

Nick Drake likely committed suicide. SSRI’s are certainly an improvement, but not a cure-all, sadly. Many depressed people take their own lives medication or no medication.

User Info Menu

Actually she accidentally overdosed on barbiturates she used as sleep aids. Not hard to do, as the “therapeutic window” of those drugs is narrow.

Nick Drake likely committed suicide. SSRI’s are certainly an improvement, but not a cure-all, sadly. Many depressed people take their own lives medication or no medication.
    It had been reported for years that it was a TCA OD, but now Wiki has changed it to the two barbituates she mixed for diet and sleep. Barbituates were responsible for many accidental ODs.
    Luckily, with the new hypnotics, there are less accidental ODs, unless you mix it with alcohol or narcotics.

Drake swallowed a whole bottle(!), so it was either ignorance or suicide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    It had been reported for years that it was a TCA OD, but now Wiki has changed it to the two barbituates she mixed for diet and sleep. Barbituates were responsible for many accidental ODs.
    Luckily, with the new hypnotics, there are less accidental ODs, unless you mix it with alcohol or narcotics.

Drake swallowed a whole bottle(!), so it was either ignorance or suicide.
    Imipramine was approved in 1959 so it is possible she was on this, though if someone were treating her for insomnia I suspect a barbiturate would have been used at that time (Seconal). Seconal was known on the street as reds btw (whereas amphetamine was whites or blacks). Hence the song references…”livin’ on reds, vitamin C and cocaine…”

User Info Menu

”livin’ on reds, vitamin C and cocaine…”
    I'm more of a "weed, whites and wine" guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'm more of a "weed, whites and wine" guy.
    LOL I thought so.

I’m more of an “a**, grass or cash”…nobody rides for free” guy myself.

Reminds me that when I was in college I went to visit my grandparents, and my underachiever cousin invited me over to his house which was across the street, where he showed me naked pics of his girlfriend and tried to get me to take some “dexies”, which I declined. I did light up a bowl with him, which made the time with the grandparents infinitely more interesting.

I had a college classmate who was a speed freak. Guy’s brain was so loose it would almost fall out. The rich kids preferred coke, whereas the pill of choice in those days among the untermenschen was quaaludes—the old 714…

There was a doc in Atlanta popularly known as the QD…if you were 21 and went to see this doc and told him about stress in school, can’t sleep, etc., he would prescribe 75 methaqualone tablets on the spot. It was a common thing among my classmates back in the day.

I myself avoided all intoxicants except beer and weed. I figured I didn’t need anything making me any stupider than I already was. (Which is why I stopped smoking pot in medical school.)