The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Author reminisces about a Jan 2020 performance at the Village Vanguard.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...of-julian-lage

(Paywall if you hit your monthly free article limit)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

'Somewhere in John Cheever’s letters or maybe in his diaries or maybe just in his conversation, he remarked that writing was not a competitive sport.'

In the New Yorker's golden age, the fact checkers would not have allowed this sentence to pass. They would have asked Cheever.

Whitney Balliett would have lunched with Lage and written about that for The New Yorker.

User Info Menu

Thanks—and by way of deserving emphasis, Lage and this trio are the current Downbeat cover story.

User Info Menu

That was splendid. The LP with soap bars is it something new or have I missed something?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhl-ferndale
    Thanks—and by way of deserving emphasis, Lage and this trio are the current Downbeat cover story.
    J.L. appears to be having something of a "moment." Let us hope there are many, many more!

User Info Menu

A moment indeed! There is also a nice article about him in the July 2021 edition of Guitar Player magazine that I read last night!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    A moment indeed! There is also a nice article about him in the July 2021 edition of Guitar Player magazine that I read last night!
    Sounds to me like JL's agent is on the job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    That was splendid. The LP with soap bars is it something new or have I missed something?
    Its not a true LP..I think its a custom made..but Lage has played alot of different guitars in his vids...

he is being recognized for his talent..good for him..good for us...

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing. I guess Julian‘s reached a new peak in his career.

User Info Menu

The article I read mentioned Julian recording a few songs with a 1955 Les Paul. I don't know if it is owned or borrowed. His new Blue Note CD is on my stereo, just waiting to help me start my weekend later tonight...

User Info Menu

Sorry. I don’t get the Julian Lage thing. A great technician, sure. A good jazz guitarist? I’m not hearing it. He’s got zero blues in his playing. And his tone is horrid. Different strokes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Sorry. I don’t get the Julian Lage thing. A great technician, sure. A good jazz guitarist? I’m not hearing it. He’s got zero blues in his playing. And his tone is horrid. Different strokes.
    It‘s one thing what you hear but knockout statements like „He‘s got no blues…“ are ridiculous.
    But anyway, what’s horrid in his tone?

"Jazz is not a what, it is a how."
    Bill Evans

User Info Menu

That‘s his Collings signature. It‘s far away from a Les Paul, it‘s fully hollow with DeArmond-inspired pickups from Ron Ellis. The guitar is discussed here somewhere.

On two songs from Squint he‘s playing his old Les Paul.

User Info Menu

The New Yorker: The Guitar Playing of Julian Lage-julian-lage-les-paul-png

The New Yorker: The Guitar Playing of Julian Lage-2021-06-19_01-28-07-png

User Info Menu

The New Yorker: The Guitar Playing of Julian Lage-f2ab8137-c46a-4793-972c-d512802b7d20-jpeg
    ^ from Saint Rose

User Info Menu

If you don’t hear any blues... well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Yeah, that LP has been in some of his "from home" videos... IDK if he has recorded with it or played it live yet. These days it seems to be all Collings, his "new love".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    'Somewhere in John Cheever’s letters or maybe in his diaries or maybe just in his conversation, he remarked that writing was not a competitive sport.'In the New Yorker's golden age, the fact checkers would not have allowed this sentence to pass. They would have asked Cheever.Whitney Balliett would have lunched with Lage and written about that for The New Yorker.
    Cheaver died in 1982 so it's hard to ask him now. Sort of a crap article though. It's a lot of me me me by the writer.I think the JL signature guitar is pretty recent. They really are quite beautiful but the price is out of control.JL is unreal. Check out Persian Rug live on youtube. superlative playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo

If you don’t hear any blues... well...

well...blues light maybe. He is to say, Kenny Burrell what John Mayer is to Magic Sam or Muddy Waters when it comes to blues roots or blues based.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    well...blues light maybe. He is to say, Kenny Burrell what John Mayer is to Magic Sam or Muddy Waters when it comes to blues roots or blues based.
    Yeah, two very divergent styles. Lage and Burrell happen to be two of my favorite guitarists, which I guess speaks to my eclectic tastes.

User Info Menu

I'm glad that Julian is getting a lot of attention in all these magazines. But like others have said they aren't that interesting to read. Not much going on in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    I’m pretty sure that 60 years ago, you’d have said about Kenny Burrell that he is to Charlie Christian what Bo Didley is to Muddy Waters or Robert Johnson. Gosh! The need to belittle great players! First no blues, then blues light! The New Yorker: The Guitar Playing of Julian LageThe New Yorker: The Guitar Playing of Julian LageThe New Yorker: The Guitar Playing of Julian Lage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I first heard Julian play when he was featured as a “kid” during one of the performances at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival. He seemed to be around 10 years old. As soon as he began playing it was immediately clear to me, and I believe to all there, that he was a special musician. He seemed to merge with his archtop, a Manzer I believe. As he played a few high tempo standards and a ballad or two, the look of pure delight on his face and the way he swayed to the music as he performed was spellbinding.

I am not surprised that over the years he’s become “a thing”. As I recall he has gone through periods playing the Manzer archtop, a vintage acoustic L5, a Telecaster, and in recent years a Collings - I can’t recall if fully hollow or a semi. I prefer his archtop tone over his telecaster sound, but he could make a broomstick sound good.

AKA

User Info Menu

I’ve seen him live twice and he’s great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    Yeah, two very divergent styles. Lage and Burrell happen to be two of my favorite guitarists, which I guess speaks to my eclectic tastes.
    I'll add T-Bone Walker, Charlie Christian, and Johnny Smith. Eclectic? I guess- I just like what I like... and while I liked all the others instantly, it took me awhile to "get" Lage. Like over several years I'd hear him and be like "whaaaat?", but when I finally got him, I GOT him. I'm STILL trying to "get" most of Frisell's work, I just don't "hear it", yet, I guess. I do like his courage- he just tries to connect to the universe when he plays; and that makes for some very...interesting... choices. But then I can say the same thing about Jim Campilongo, who I "got" instantly.

Honestly, it was his videos from home that did it, during the pandemic. I have rarely seen someone "connected to the muse" as Julian seems to get. That whole stream-of-consciousness thing, to the point where he's actually entertaining himself, and having fun, and you can see it on his face. It's a pretty special thing.