The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Was a tremendous player imho.

Some of his albums were perhaps a bit too smooth, but I think something like this is an interesting hybrid: The tunes and timbres may take their cues from smooth, bt the playing is both too spirited and too advanced to belong in any elevator. To my ears, this is proper playing.

And Loeb also got a very lovely sound out of that superstrat.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven't watched the clip above due to time constraints, but that said, I never took much notice of his band work. Fortunately I eventually discovered his solo work - he was a monster solo guitarist. There are several videos of him playing solo and all I've seen are impressive. I don't think the commercial group format allowed him to show too much of his immense talent and craft. So sad that he's gone.

User Info Menu

I think if you have Randy Brecker in your band your playing jazz..Loeb has been in all genres and feels comfortable in each..

in this vid Loeb can jazz-rock-fusion and then some..and the band is top of the line..they are in Europe and playing to an audience that appreciates contempory jazz fused music

I enjoyed his work with Fourplay..and considering he took the chair from Larry Carlton who in turn took over from Lee Rittenour..not too much can be said about his abilities but for me just WOW

and yes..he left us too soon

thank you Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by P4guitar
    I haven't watched the clip above due to time constraints, but that said, I never took much notice of his band work. Fortunately I eventually discovered his solo work - he was a monster solo guitarist. There are several videos of him playing solo and all I've seen are impressive. I don't think the commercial group format allowed him to show too much of his immense talent and craft. So sad that he's gone.

Do you know of any records featuring his solo work? I've seen a few videos on youtube, but I've never come across any records which featured that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Do you know of any records featuring his solo work? I've seen a few videos on youtube, but I've never come across any records which featured that
    here ya go...

https://www.odi-music.net/113834-chu...1988-2011.html

enjoy

User Info Menu

saw him play once with Pat Martino. I saw him before the show, he was jacked, looked kinda nervous and stoked waiting outside to play.
    He really brought it that night. Totally fun to watch, he put a lot of energy into the music, not a passive vessel at all. Glad I got to see him once.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    saw him play once with Pat Martino. I saw him before the show, he was jacked, looked kinda nervous and stoked waiting outside to play.
    He really brought it that night. Totally fun to watch, he put a lot of energy into the music, not a passive vessel at all. Glad I got to see him once.
    He used to do occasional subs for the booking office that I used to work for. One time we were playing gigs in different rooms in the same hall, and I went downstairs to hear him play, but they were on a break.
    Everybody in the band was sitting at a table, but CL had his old 330 still around his neck, walking around the place practicing non-stop, with a cigarette wedged in the headstock.
    I tried to say hello to him, but he was a moving target, and I didn't want to bug him. The keyboard player I was working with told me that he had his first gig at Seventh Ave. South the next day, and was hyped about it.
    I went with the keyboard player to 7th Ave South to hear his band, and we got comp tickets. Unfortunately, his bass player didn't show up for the gig, so his keyboard player had to play LH bass, and CL had to play mainly rhythm guitar, while his wife sang all of the tunes.
    He finally took a solo at the end of the night, and it sounded very good. He came over to the table and complained about the no-show bass player to my keyboard player friend, and didn't say a word to me.