User Info Menu

and seems he deliberately chooses smaller venues often in some hidden corners of the country with no streaming or recording...

Why would not he agree a late gig with Smalls?

John Scofield Solo Guitar
    Friday, June 18 2021
    8:00 PM
    Narrows Center for the Arts. Fall River, MA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think there are a few factors at play here.

Save for a couple of things on Instagram last year to promote the trio album on ECM, John is one of a number of musicians who have chosen not to get involved in live-streaming shows or other events this past year.

John does not live in New York City. I doubt it makes financial sense to travel into the city, get a hotel, etc for just one club show.

John's NYC club base appears to be the Blue Note. He is there for a run from 8th July.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

Save for a couple of things on Instagram last year to promote the trio album on ECM, John is one of a number of musicians who have chosen not to get involved in live-streaming shows or other events this past year.

John does not live in New York City. I doubt it makes financial sense to travel into the city, get a hotel, etc for just one club show.

John's NYC club base appears to be the Blue Note. He is there for a run from 8th July.
    Yes maybe..
    I do not know if he deliberately chose not to play live streaming or not...
    Or if it makes more sense financially to travel to Boston or Connecticut for a solo gig than to NY...

I do not know the hierarchy of NY jazz life... Frisell or Sco never play in Smalls or Mezzrow...
    Peter Bernstein I guess ... he was at Blue Note or Vanguard only occasionally and as a sideman..
    Seems like there are different leagues...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

Yes maybe..
    I do not know if he deliberately chose not to play live streaming or not...
    Or if it makes more sense financially to travel to Boston or Connecticut for a solo gig than to NY...

I do not know the hierarchy of NY jazz life... Frisell or Sco never play in Smalls or Mezzrow...
    Peter Bernstein I guess ... he was at Blue Note or Vanguard only occasionally and as a sideman..
    Seems like there are different leagues...