The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 85
    Thank you very much for the article. A really good teachers best lesson is to teach you how to grow and get better on your own. We dont know what was shared exactly between teacher and student but after reading the article I would say students who went through his program would be well prepared to become advanced musicians of the style they chose. Thanks again for your efforts. I remember the exotic scales in Guitar Lore and they were fun!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You obnoxious, ignorant, loudmouth fukwit. If you knew how much you were disrespected and pitied for apparently being proud of your own ignorance and stupidity, you might post here with less frequency. You are a dickhead with a big mouth. That’s as deep as appears to go for you. Why not STFU until (if) you (ever) have something of significance to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, D,
    When you post something in the future, please provide for our readers what comments you deem acceptable and which are not acceptable ,in advance, so we may adhere to your strict editorial policies and not offend your principles of propriety and decorum. My comments ARE related to JM since he is in his last years of life and the pix of him provided by the OP were very interesting from both a historic and generational perspective in regards to Jazz music and musicians. Who else am I talking about? . . . Snarky Puppy????? God . . .I hate the thought police.
    Play live . . . Marinero

My reply seems to have been misplaced and paired with a hateful post to Marinero. I wanted to thank the person who provided material on Dennis Sandole. I found it quite interesting and useful. Thanks again.

As far as who is a POSER and who is a PLAYER thats pretty EASY to determine. Just post a video of you PLAYING JAZZ GUITAR.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    You obnoxious, ignorant, loudmouth fukwit. If you knew how much you were disrespected and pitied for apparently being proud of your own ignorance and stupidity, you might post here with less frequency. You are a dickhead with a big mouth. That’s as deep as appears to go for you. Why not STFU until (if) you (ever) have something of significance to say?
    yeah, but how do you really feel?

User Info Menu

This was nice while it lasted. For the record, I enjoy Marinero's posts.

User Info Menu

Well let’s have a bit more Jim Mullen, I videoed this in 2008. There were lots of families and young people in the audience, including some children who were dancing in front of the bandstand (who said you can’t dance to bebop?)

Jim Mullen - YouTube

User Info Menu

Well, W, I think I know how you discovered your username and you're certainly not a Single Malt guy . . . something more in line with Old Crow. So, when someone on an online Forum posts in Russian, a reasonable man could assume that he speaks Russian. And, When someone on an online Forum posts in Greek, a reasonable man could assume that he speaks Greek. And, when someone on an online Forum posts pure ignorance . . . well, I think you can figure out the rest.

Play live . . . Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 06-12-2021 at 08:29 AM. Reason: deletion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Well, W, I think I know how you discovered your username and you're certainly not a Single Malt guy . . . something more in line with Old Crow.
    Also ignorant.

User Info Menu

Wait.... Did Marinero just call himself ignorant?

User Info Menu

I got to watch Jim last night, playing duo with guitarist Tom Remon, in a restaurant just around the corner from my place.

No Super 400 last night, but a beautiful archtop built by luthier Jon Case. Jim's playing was, as always, impeccable - soulful, swinging, with a big clear tone and killer time feel.

User Info Menu

Saw Jim Mullen today-1338418_1_jim-mullen-my-life-music_eflyer-jpg

I'm sure this event on Tuesday 13th July will be of interest to many in this thread.

Link: http://www.moodindigoevents.co.uk/calendar.html

joelf Guest
    OK, enough holding back---now tell us what you REALLY think...

joelf Guest
    I met Jim when visiting London in '97. Lovely guy. A mutual friend introduced us before his gig. He even apologized for not inviting me to sit in, b/c a critic was reviewing the show.

Salt of the earth...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well let’s have a bit more Jim Mullen, I videoed this in 2008. There were lots of families and young people in the audience, including some children who were dancing in front of the bandstand (who said you can’t dance to bebop?)

Jim Mullen - YouTube
    Good stuff! The best I've heard him play I think. Having a better rhythm section than the one I heard him live with that day helps. But his own beat is self-sufficient...

joelf Guest
    Very nice sound; ideas; spacing; relaxation here:

Thanks for posting the Great Music and helping me learn to post as well Graham. Quite simple once one has Clear instructions how to do it. Glad to hear Jim M. is doing well. Hes a winner in my book!!!

User Info Menu

Jim Mullen live in conversation about his life in music right now:

User Info Menu

How could anyone not like Jim Mullen? Is there a more ego-less player in jazz?

What guitar is he playing in that video?

User Info Menu

I think it might be this?

Jim Mullen's Crockett JC1 | Equipboard

User Info Menu

Yes, built by luthier Jon Case who has since been building under his own name.
    www.caseguitars.co.uk

User Info Menu

Here's a tune from Tuesday's duo set with Terence Collie.

User Info Menu

Jim's plays a beautiful chorus there. Such great touch, time, melody and soul. I don't remember ever seeing any transcriptions of his playing so here's mine (solo at 3'48"):

Saw Jim Mullen today-wbta1-jpgSaw Jim Mullen today-wbta2-jpgSaw Jim Mullen today-wbta3-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice fast work there PMB!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Nice fast work there PMB!
    Thanks Graham. It's only a single chorus but it actually took longer than usual. As you know, Jim is a three-finger guitarist who also plays with his thumb (different hands, of course!) like Wes so there are lots of position shifts, hammers/pull offs, vibrato etc. all of which I wanted to include in the transcription. We're in an extended lockdown here in Sydney and although I'm doing all my teaching on Zoom, the lack of travel means I have a bit more time on my hands!
    Last edited by PMB; 07-21-2021 at 05:57 PM.