The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Jimmie Rivers, Vance Terry and the boys live at the 23 club in California back in the 60’s I believe. My my what some great playing and fun they were having. Here’s my YouTube playlist. You’ll either dig it or you won’t. Music starts at 9, fights start at 10.

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?l...;feature=share
    Last edited by BFrench; 05-26-2021 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've got the CD Brisbane Bop from that group. It is awesome. My buddy Denny Freeman who recently passed recommended it to me. My other close friend, Bill Kirchen, swears by JR too.

Dan

User Info Menu

It is that. Great live playing and cool takes on those tunes. Reckon all those guys have gone on by now.
    Last edited by BFrench; 05-26-2021 at 08:13 PM.

User Info Menu

This reminds me... I haven't listened to any "hillbilly jazz" in awhile.... need to break out the Johnny Rivers and Jimmy Bryant. I am currently learning Bryant's "Deep Water".

User Info Menu

I believe Jimmie Rivers is still with us. The brilliant, innovative steel player Vance Terry died under sad circumstances.

Jimmie NAMM interview: https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/jimmy-rivers

Vance Obit: Vance Terry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I believe Jimmie Rivers is still with us. The brilliant, innovative steel player Vance Terry died under sad circumstances.

Jimmie NAMM interview: Jimmy Rivers | Oral Histories | NAMM.org

thank you so much for the read on Vance, it was so moving and sad to know his story. He was such an incredible player. You can hear,know and feel what a time Vance and Jimmie, bass and drummer had on Brisbane. It is beyond excellent to me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV

Jimmie NAMM interview: Jimmy Rivers | Oral Histories | NAMM.org

It says in the bottom of that interview you posted that JR died in 2003. What an incredible player! Did he ever record with a more modern, jazz rhythm section?

User Info Menu

Sorry, for the misinformation! I hadn't read the obit for a few years and apparently forgot Jimmie was gone.

User Info Menu

THE DANCING STARTS AT NINE AND THE FIGHTS START AT TEN !!! Love it !! I have the vinyl ...

User Info Menu

Nailed it!!