The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I'm pretty new to this era of music and I've devoured his material, so now I'm looking for a natural progression of imitators or those directly inspired leading up to bebop. I guess I am looking for m7b5 substitutions, mixolydian and chromatic sounds, but relatively simple compared to what came later when bebop took off. (I don't intend this to be a discussion about theory - I'm working on it!). Just looking for some listening while I'm at work.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Early Barney Kessel

User Info Menu

yea, barney is on top of that list. senior moment...

User Info Menu

T-Bone Walker has some CC in him for sure.

User Info Menu

Of current players, Ilya Lushtak comes to mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Wow. Not familiar with this guitarist. If I had been played this tune in a blindfold test my best guess for the guitarist would have been Grant Green!

I will have to check him out.

AKA

Thanks for the early Barney Kessel recommendation. Perfect! Many parts sound like Charlie himself, but no bloody xylophone

User Info Menu

Our own Jonathan Stout sounds more CC than CC himself!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Yea, this is more like Grant Green, I dont hear any CC here tbh.

Ilya is fine player in NYC, knows 2000+ standards, but nooope, no CC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    T-Bone Walker has some CC in him for sure.
    I believe that they both studied with the same music teacher ( a woman who’s name escapes me) in Oklahoma City. Barney was an Okie too.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong about T-Bone. I don't know where I read that years ago, but it was faulty (or my memory is ). Regardless, here she is. Very impressive.
    Zelia N. Breaux - Wikipedia

One thing my memory is NOT faulty about, is meeting Barney Kessel. I was teaching guitar at a music store and had already switched from being a music major to something else. I was enthusiastic about William Leavitt's method and asked Barney about it, as he was passing through the store for something. He told me that HE had the secret sauce for teaching jazz guitar. I thought that it came off as cocky (actually it was, they way he said it) - but - he was probably right, or as right as anyone could be expected to be.

I should have begged him for a lesson or three right there on the spot, but I didn't. Stupid me.
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 05-23-2021 at 11:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yea, this is more like Grant Green, I dont hear any CC here tbh.

Ilya is fine player in NYC, knows 2000+ standards, but nooope, no CC.
    You don't hear CC in Grant Green?