The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Boy, do we have some great jazz guitarists in the Netherlands. (The late) Wim Overgaauw, Jesse van Ruller, Martijn van Iterson, Stochelo and Jimmy Rosenberg ... and ... Eef Albers. He is not very well known abroad. He does not play straight ahead jazz often - he's more of a fusion guy - but when he does he invariably blows me away. Here is an old recording with the Metropole Orchestra from 1988. The tune is "Moment's Notice."

Eef's incredible solo has been transcribed in the second video.

Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've known Eef when he was part of the staff at the Hilversum/NL Conservatory back in the 80's .... very impressive player with unbelievable chops and he could really burn - spent some memorable evenings in Hilversum listening to him and Wim Overgaauw tearing it up.....
    check out his solo on "Giant Steps" with the Peter Herbolzheimer Bigband :

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I've known Eef when he was part of the staff at the Hilversum/NL Conservatory back in the 80's .... very impressive player with unbelievable chops and he could really burn - spent some memorable evenings in Hilversum listening to him and Wim Overgaauw tearing it up..... check out his solo on "Giant Steps" with the Peter Herbolzheimer Bigband :
    Wow. Just wow! Thanks so much gitman. This makes my day. Is there more Eef Albers like this with this band? Are you Dutch?

DB

User Info Menu

He sounds great

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    He sounds great
    On his old Strat!

User Info Menu

He has a rather wide stylistic palette:

DaShigsta Guest
    First time I saw/heard Eef was back in 1979 with Herbolzheimer. He's been around...

EEF ALBERS discography (top albums) and reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Wow. Just wow! Thanks so much gitman. This makes my day. Is there more Eef Albers like this with this band? Are you Dutch?

DB

DaShigsta Guest
    NL... Not just limited to Jazz... Don't forget Peter Tiehuis, Akkerman... etc.

When I first heard Stern on We Want Miles I thought it was Eef Albers, who was into that style of playing and sound years before Mike came on.

Boy, do we have some great jazz guitarists in the Netherlands. (The late) Wim Overgaauw, Jesse van Ruller, Martijn van Iterson,
    Stochelo and Jimmy Rosenberg ... and ... Eef Albers. He is not very well known abroad.
    He does not play straight ahead jazz often - he's more of a fusion guy - but when he does he invariably blows me away.
    Here is an old recording with the Metropole Orchestra from 1988. The tune is "Moment's Notice."

Eef's incredible solo has been transcribed in the second video.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Eef also played the solo in the end tune for "Zeg 'ns aaa", a Dutch television show from 1981. I had just bought my first classical guitar and that tune was my first encounter with the sound of jazz guitar. Fantastic short solo, can't find it on the internet unfortunately.

User Info Menu

Do any of you Dutchies know Guido Schijen? He runs Tune Up in Haarlem.

I was a young rock punk when I took a few lessons from him but Guido was trying to reach me some jazz stuff. It just wasn't where I was at the time unfortunately.

Being older had mellowed me and here I am

He's a very nice guy btw...

User Info Menu

DB
    No, I'm not Dutch - I came to Hilversum in the 80's because it was pretty much the best school for Jazz besides the Swiss Jazz School in Bern, Cologne and Den Haag ....
    I applied, took the test and they let me in ! With all the guys from the Metropole Orchest, The Skymasters etc. in town and still not a very large school it was the best choice, really.
    Hilversum is a rather small town with not too many nighttime distractions if you get my drift ... Eef was my teacher for about 3 months and then he just didn't come back - he chose to stay at home and practice. Instead I had lessons from Henk Elkerbout, Henk Sprenger, Jan Huidts, Wim Overgaauw, Victor Kaihatu, Cees Smal, Jean-Louis Knapper ... formative 5 years and I learned stuff to last me 2 lifetimes.
    Eef was part of the Herbolzheimer crew for a few years so there surely are more tracks with his playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    He has a rather wide stylistic palette:

Thanks for posting this. After hearing him play in the previous videos, I really wanted to see his hands while he played. Melodic, fast players have a special place in my heart, especially when you can hear every note "bloom" the way his notes do.

Inspiring!

DaShigsta Guest
    Eef was part of the Herbolzheimer crew for a few years so there surely are more tracks with his playing.
    Here's a 1976 Herbolzheimer recording featuring Eef...

User Info Menu

Way back in the late 70s, a Dutch bass player friend of mine gave me an LP of Eef Albers, called Blue Capricorn. It has instrumental versions of some pop songs of the day such as Could It Be Magic and Feelings, elevated into works of art by his exceptional playing - plus the title track, one of his own compositions and by far the best piece of music on the album. I still dig it out and play it from time to time, since the quality of the playing is stellar. I'm happy to hear that he's still active and I'm amazed he isn't much better known, his playing is world class.

User Info Menu

I saw Eef playing at Zeeheldenfestival in The Hague, Netherlands in 2017. I’d never heard of him before but was surprised he’s not more famous and loved his playing. I’ve just put up a couple of short videos I recorded there … wish I’d filmed the whole set!

Last edited by XISTH; 04-12-2022 at 04:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Hilversum is a rather small town with not too many nighttime distractions if you get my drift
    Was back then and still is, I think. Not a place I ever felt like lingering. I was there last decembre and noticed its centre has become like in so many other small, old(er) Dutch city centres. Well kept, boutique shops and ditto bars & restaurants everywhere. Bars remaining open until "late enough" were all the distraction I needed when I was a student (late 80s)

And Nick Vollebregt's jazz café was and is at bicycling distance

I only know the place from the weekly live jazz program on what was then called Hilversum 3, after the Soul Show I never missed. Things have changed but apparently they still broadcast a weekly live show.