The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Sorry about the clickbait thread title.

I've read many, many times that "supposedly GG used a Bassman sometimes" in addition to RVG's tweed deluxe and Ampegs.

Well, here is the proof:

Grant Green -- The rumors are true!-img_2194-2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

how can you tell it's a Bassman from that pic?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    how can you tell it's a Bassman from that pic?
    Can’t for sure, but it sure looks like one to me. This is from the Stanley Turrentine “Up at Minton’s”, and I’d always read that they had a Fender Bassman as a house amp there. The actual pic from the LP is a little clearer and slightly larger I think, and it mostly looks to big to be a deluxe or a super. Could be a Pro or Twin I guess. Sure sounds like 10” speakers in a bassman to me though.

User Info Menu

Do you know what guitar he is playing here? Love those records!

User Info Menu

so at this point it's still a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    so at this point it's still a rumor.
    Well actually, I just looked at the LP and it is pretty clearly a Bassman. You can't tell from the crop on this one, but you can actually see the bottom of the amp, and even just make out the contours of the 4 10s.

Anyhow, just though it was cool to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin1993
    Do you know what guitar he is playing here? Love those records!
    He's playing the ES330

Grant Green -- The rumors are true!-img_2209-2-jpg

User Info Menu

An ES-330 into a tweed 4x10 Bassman in Green's hands...man, that's about as good as it can get, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    An ES-330 into a tweed 4x10 Bassman in Green's hands...man, that's about as good as it can get, IMO.
    For sure! He is so on fire on that album too, with plenty of great bop lines. IIRC he had only been in NYC a relatively short time when it was recorded, and he sounds hungry.

User Info Menu

...I see I'll be making another trip to iTunes this week....

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    ...I see I'll be making another trip to iTunes this week....
    If you haven’t heard this album yet you are in for a treat! It’s one of the gray live shows from the Blue Note glory days for sure. Absolutely smoking...

User Info Menu

Its actually 2 lps, I've had em forever. Not much early live GG out there.

User Info Menu

Available as a 2-CD set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Available as a 2-CD set.

i wish they were complete. there was so much more material from this gig that was never released and got lost in the big fire. one of the best records ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Available as a 2-CD set.

Wow, lll have to track that down! I’ve owned the 2 volume CD and LP for years, and never knew there was more
    material! The “Up at Minton’s” version only has 8 songs.

User Info Menu

Only on a jazz guitar forum would the headline "Rumors are true" be followed by the shocking revelation that GG played a Bassman amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy
    Wow, lll have to track that down! I’ve owned the 2 volume CD and LP for years, and never knew there was more
    material! The “Up at Minton’s” version only has 8 songs.
    there isnt. the rest is from different sessions

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    there isnt. the rest is from different sessions
    Bummer. I already have ZT's Blues...was hoping these were live cuts of those tunes, but I suppose that was always unlikely!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Only on a jazz guitar forum would the headline "Rumors are true" be followed by the shocking revelation that GG played a Bassman amp.
    Yes, I completely neglected the tongue-in-cheek emoticon in the headline.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy
    Yes, I completely neglected the tongue-in-cheek emoticon in the headline.
    Also not sure I agree with your premise here...I've seen some truly bizarre stuff on the various musical and gear forums over the years.

Anyhow, all in good fun...the gear part is just that.

User Info Menu

We need to get us some lives...

User Info Menu

"Grant Green -- Alien Silicon-Based ET Who Dated Princess Grace While Working As A CIA Agent On the Kennedy Assassination and Played Through Different Amps On Different Gigs!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    "Grant Green -- Alien Silicon-Based ET Who Dated Princess Grace While Working As A CIA Agent On the Kennedy Assassination and Played Through Different Amps On Different Gigs!!!!!!"

I know right? Who would ever have thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Silicon? I always heard it was Germanium....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Silicon? I always heard it was Germanium....
    Unobtainium....