The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny Talks Composition with John Pizzarelli - JazzTimes

I really enjoy reading Metheny interviews, but found this one - conducted by a knowledgeable musician who is also a fan - to be especially interesting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A lot of great quotes in there: "the fine line between musical accomplishment and mental illness"..."[music] is a currency that’s based in truth."

My favorite: "I’m saying this to all of the musicians I know: This all [the pandemic, etc.] is going to be in the rearview mirror and we’re going to be meeting at the Holiday Inn at Chattanooga Highway 72 as you leave one gig and I come into the next."

LOL--I know the Holiday Inn he's talking about...

User Info Menu

I wonder if John ever wishes he could play like Pat, or Pat ever wishes he could sing like John?

Or if each of them secretly wishes they had the other's hair?

User Info Menu

Well that was interesting. One of the things about Pat Matheny is that he has always been a good interview. He's able to express himself verbally very effectively, which sometimes musicians are not particularly good at. They're brilliant with their instrument, but trying to translate that into understandable language can be a challenge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well that was interesting. One of the things about Pat Matheny is that he has always been a good interview. He's able to express himself verbally very effectively, which sometimes musicians are not particularly good at. They're brilliant with their instrument, but trying to translate that into understandable language can be a challenge.
    I found it interesting that he said he has trouble relating to certain artists. He didn't mention names. He played with Ornette Coleman, so it's not like he's afraid to go into some weird areas.

One thing I got from the interview was that music is like a language. When Pat and John talk, or Pat and his bandmates play together, they're speaking their native tongue. And they're very articulate. Sometimes people who are highly literate use language in a way that is purposely obtuse and hard to relate to. I can understand that.

I feel like I am a non-native music speaker who has a certain level of fluency with the jazz language, but not 100% comfortable in all contexts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Pat Metheny Talks Composition with John Pizzarelli - JazzTimes

I really enjoy reading Metheny interviews, but found this one - conducted by a knowledgeable musician who is also a fan - to be especially interesting.
    Thanks for that zdub. A great read amongst two great players who respect each other immensely!

I also had the good fortune of interviewing John for his latest album and if interested, you can check it out over at John Pizzarelli - The Making of Better Days

I am a huge fan of both players and really enjoyed John's tribute to Pat.

Thanks all.

Lyle - Jazz Guitar Life

Quote Originally Posted by JazzGuitarLife
    Thanks for that zdub. A great read amongst two great players who respect each other immensely!

I also had the good fortune of interviewing John for his latest album and if interested, you can check it out over at John Pizzarelli - The Making of Better Days

I am a huge fan of both players and really enjoyed John's tribute to Pat.

Thanks all.

Lyle - Jazz Guitar Life
    How sad that JP lost both of his parents to covid. But a GREAT interview - thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    How sad that JP lost both of his parents to covid. But a GREAT interview - thanks for posting!
    Thanks zdub and yeah...very sad about John's mom and dad passing due to covid. The title of the new album really hits home for most of us!

Thanks for liking the interview and I'm looking forward to doing a more general interview with John when he's got a few moments.

Take care.

Lyle - Jazz Guitar Life