The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I've heard his name but never really listened to Jimmy Ponder before today. His Wes-clone attributes are obvious but he seems to dig into the time in a personal way with kind of a soul-jazz vibe. The soulful vocal was a surprise. Are their any key ponder records to check out?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The guy's great. There have been a few posts on him lately, and I don't understand the lack of enthusiasm for him. He's way more than a Wes clone. Like Ted Dunbar, he uses Wes as a springing board to do his own thing. I have a lot more respect for him than some of the younger guys that just copy a few Wes cliches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I've heard his name but never really listened to Jimmy Ponder before today. His Wes-clone attributes are obvious but he seems to dig into the time in a personal way with kind of a soul-jazz vibe. The soulful vocal was a surprise. Are their any key ponder records to check out?
    i got this on the giganti del jazz label a long time ago. really takes off at 2:30.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I love his playing. My favorite album of his is a Richard Groove Holmes one, Blues All Day Long!

User Info Menu

He's much more than just a Wes clone. He played with almost all of the great organists and he had a wonderful single note tone and attack all of his own with lots of sting.

Its a lot easier to criticize than create in the hard knocks road of pro jazz guitar. At least people have heard of Jimmy Ponder in advanced jazz circles. I got to play with Groove Holmes a couple times and it was a big thrill for me! But I would advise afro-american organ pickers do not keep a pistol in your bench way down south! Might be a set back involved. Maybe times have changed.

"He's much more than just a Wes clone." Bad choice of words on my part, I should have said Wes-influenced as I can hear where he diverges into his own thing. I like his playing. Thanks for the links!

User Info Menu

"he sounds just like my wes!" (serene montgomery)

I think nearly everyone who heard Wes became Wes influenced. Django and Charlie Christian were definitely NOT Wes influenced. George Benson and Pat Matheny were very Wes influenced. If you dont believe me ask them. I saw Pat at a jam with Carmen Mcraes trio play several Wes solos note for note perfect because he had memorized them in his formative stage.