The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Curious - Is there a reason I never hear anyone (on this forum or anywhere else) mention the Far Wes record? Is it considered sub standard for some reason? Playing? recording quality? personnel? Wes' sound? I think it's the first Wes record I owned, and I absolutely love it. The only thing about it that seems a little "off" to me is the sax volume (at times). I love the tunes, feel, tempos, playing, everything about it. ...even the sax that seems too loud, occasionally.

Maybe it's a dumb question, but I have wondered for years.

FWIW I also love the Full House recording - right down to the sound of the clanging dishes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No complaints from me - the sound is pretty good (at least on the first session, not so good on the second one) and it’s great to hear Wes with Harold Land. The title track is a great tune too.

User Info Menu

If you mean the album "Far Wes", it's just a different packaging for "Montgomeryland", if I'm not mistaken here. Anyway: I got the FW album before I purchased the "Complete Montgomeryland Sessions" and it's still one of my favourites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    If you mean the album "Far Wes", it's just a different packaging for "Montgomeryland", if I'm not mistaken here. Anyway: I got the FW album before I purchased the "Complete Montgomeryland Sessions" and it's still one of my favourites.
    Ahhh.... If this is normally referred to as "Montgomeryland", maybe that's why I don't hear it mentioned. LOL. I suppose a real fan would have known that. I've never considered myself a jazz guitarist, and now, maybe I shouldn't consider myself a jazz guitar fan either.

User Info Menu

Don’t worry about that, I didn’t really know it was the same thing. Jazz recordings get reissued and repackaged under all sorts of different names, it can be hard to keep track.

All too easy to buy something and find you already had some of the same tracks on a CD with a different name!

User Info Menu

Every recording, in chronological order:

https://davegould68.wixsite.com/dave-gould

DG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daveg
    Every recording, in chronological order:

https://davegould68.wixsite.com/dave-gould

DG
    almost

but seriously, that site is a fantastic resource that has been around for quite a while.

i probably asked you before but did you ever run into any of that unreleased material from ronnie scotts?