The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow. So great. Time, feel, blues. Fun. New album out also.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Swanson
    Wow. So great. Time, feel, blues. Fun. New album out also.

User Info Menu

Yes, much like Russell Malone, he has the whole package. I've seen him live with Joey D.

Actually, my playing is a lot like theirs, except for the part about fleet single-note lines, the chords, and skillfully intertwining them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzinNY
    Yes, much like Russell Malone, he has the whole package. I've seen him live with Joey D.

Actually, my playing is a lot like theirs, except for the part about fleet single-note lines, the chords, and skillfully intertwining them.
    Yeah, he has come a long way. It's nice to see a young player get better and better. It shows that they're really workin' on it.

I too saw him play with Joey D., in the basement bar at The Little Nell about 6-8 years ago. He was playing some nifty, fast long lines that I noticed were different from past performances that I had seen here on the forum (via links from Jack Z.)

That night there was this middle aged "chick" raising her arms and grooving like she was at a rave concert or something, lol. She stopped after a while. Afterwards I met Joey D. while he autograpghed a CD for me. I told him that I really enjoyed his work with Johnny Mac. He said "that was a long time ago". Everything is relative I guess. Boy was I tired after the slopes, dinner, and drinks but it was a very enjoyable show. Joey D. sang, played trumpet, and of course played the hell out of that Hammond B3.

User Info Menu

Although I dig Grasso's playing more and more--he plays lap piano and string saxophone like no one else--I think Dan Wilson should have won that Wes competition. Next time, they all better have proper amplification and have it better organized.

The way Dan Wilson plays time and groove in EVERYTHING he plays... that's a connection to the real tradition that very few have.

Dan Wilson has some really cool lessons on rhythm changes. I might wanna grab some lessons with him one day... if he has the time.

Last edited by PickingMyEars; 04-16-2021 at 01:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I just discovered Dan Wilson. WOW!! What a player?!! I was listening to a Van Morrison album ("You're Driving Me Crazy") and Dan's playing blew me away. Great player. Both lead and comping. I'll be adding him to a long list of guitar players I admire and listen to...and steal things from. LOL!

User Info Menu

He has a YouTube channel, and a great Instagram account, where he regularly posts his playing. I have his first cd, and I think he just released his second one.

Him and Cecil Alexander are two great modern players that play in the Benson staccato/percussive lines tradition (and both use the Benson picking technique). So if you like Dan Wilson check out C. Alexander as well..

Now i have to check if Pasquale Grasso has any CDs out..