The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Count the strings on that classical...

Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As much as I respect and admire John Pizzarelli for his playing, singing , his humor and general care for the genre THIS is not really reaching me ... the smooth flow of the original is gone, it's played here on a nylonstring guitar which has almost no sustain at all so the melody line just disappears ... with a song like this maybe some electronic enhancement/treatment with a tasteful reverb added would lift it up some ?

User Info Menu

I really do not know what to think about this, confusing

User Info Menu

Hi, DJ,
    Nothing special here with JP that an intermediate Bossa Player couldn't play . . . and, someone needs to tell him he needs to tune his instrument before playing. That bothered me more than his performance.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I enjoyed it. His joy in the song comes through.

I don't need to be bowled-over every time and that song has never struck me as something Pat meant as a Mandatory Over-Bowler.

User Info Menu

It went nowhere with me he does not have it under control.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    I enjoyed it. His joy in the song comes through.

I don't need to be bowled-over every time and that song has never struck me as something Pat meant as a Mandatory Over-Bowler.
    Yeah, sure you guys aren't a bit punch-drunk with so many pro-produced wow factor offerings on YT? I think John is just saying how much he enjoys this tune and here it is, recorded into his i-Phone. Could be wrong. If you wanna be zapped, listen to his solo performance of I Got Rhythm.

User Info Menu

It's a different interpretation is all. I liked it better than the original PM highly processed and studio-tricks-massaged recording, even if it was rougher. No reverb, cheap mic and camera, honest as all get-out.

Seems that JP has a whole album of PM tunes he just put out. Kudos to him for stepping out of his usual material and taking a risk.

And for something he's got complete control over:

User Info Menu

I'd like to hear some versions by our members. Maybe I'll call this one next time it's my turn in the Virtual Jam.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, DJ,
    Nothing special here with JP that an intermediate Bossa Player couldn't play . . . and, someone needs to tell him he needs to tune his instrument before playing. That bothered me more than his performance.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Post your performance of it for us.

As Wyatt Earp said to Ike Clayton, “You talk to much for a fighting man.”

Show us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I enjoyed it. It is more challenging than it looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Just a piece of trivia: John and his father Bucky had an afternoon spot in a music festival in upstate New York back around 1986 or so. Nighttime headliner was Pat Metheny. Both acts were excellent.

I remember being amazed what John and Bucky could do with those 7-strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    It's a different interpretation is all. I liked it better than the original PM highly processed and studio-tricks-massaged recording, even if it was rougher. No reverb, cheap mic and camera, honest as all get-out.

Seems that JP has a whole album of PM tunes he just put out. Kudos to him for stepping out of his usual material and taking a risk.

This was really nice and I like that for sure. JP regardless of what he happen to do with the PM tune, is a monster guitar player for sure. He has got chops, taste, and sings fine. I enjoy is stuff for sure. Now the one thing I might say not that guitar playing is a contest, but Pat Metheny probably has him for overall ability as a guitarist. I think Pat can hang with anyone really, but I never got too much into his playing. I like the early stuff he did but he went many directions. Me, I am just a guitar player and focus in a narrow range. I think Pizzarelli is much more something I listen to everyday. In fact these days I am just going back listening to Chet Baker and his swinging style and melodic content.

User Info Menu

Is the extra string low or high there? Often thought that a high A string would be more useful than a low B or whatever

User Info Menu

It is a low A string, one octave below the fifth string. George Van Eps worked that tuning out in the mid-30s (first tuning his six string from low A to the standard B, leaving off the high E) and had his Epiphone Deluxe converted with a new neck in 1938. He played that instrument until the 1960s when Gretsch made the seven string George Van Eps model.

Bucky P saw Van Eps playing that and promptly ordered one; it became his primary instrument I think until Benedetto made him a seven string. John P followed in Bucky's footsteps in terms of playing the seven string.

User Info Menu

Perhaps it's a character flaw, but I've tried and tried, and I simply cannot listen to Metheny. I just can't. JP isn't my favorite player, but I can listen to his music. I hope in vain to have it under that much control someday.

User Info Menu

It seems to me that it is not about who likes to play PM or JP more.
    This is more about a reaction-impression after listening to a home video.
    After a live concert of this artist, there may be quite different opinions.
    That's why I don't like the internet.Therefore, I deleted my first comment.
    Last edited by kris; 04-12-2021 at 06:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'd like to hear some versions by our members. Maybe I'll call this one next time it's my turn in the Virtual Jam.
    It will be a very big challenge for guitarists, especially for beginners. It's not about improvisation, but chord-melody in the style of latin / nylon strings guitar /.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

Yes, the studio version is more satisfying. He just plays it straight and pretty. I would have found it more interesting if he’d jazz it up a bit with variations and syncopation on the melody, fills, etc., but that’s just a matter of taste.

User Info Menu

He certainly doesn't use a classical technique--very claw-ish. Also seems to use the flesh of his thumb.

(I myself learned classical technique early on but now doing something halfway between a more vertical position and clawing.)

Of course the only thing that matters is how it sounds. I think he's got a good sound on those recordings.