Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    A few years back, someone posted a Scofield video at some big event (Jazz at the Lincon Center, maybe). This is what I think I remember:

    1) There were several Jazz masters, including Wynton Marsalis and other brass players
    2) In the video, Some commented that the other artists were staring disapprovingly at Scofield as he performed his solo
    3) I think Sco had a light blue and white strat that he played
    4) His hair was still black or brown in the video and I think he had a beard
    5) I am thinking the video was recorded in the 80's or 90's.
    6) There was a thread here in which forum members commented how some of the other artists were looking side-eyed at Sco's solo and some on the forum praised Sco' originality in the solo.
    7) I think he used a lot of outside notes, maybe too many for the Jazz traditionalists

    If anybody remembers this video please let me know if I am just dreaming this memory or if it is real. I am going to search some more. There is a chance that very video may have been taken down.

    No worries, folks.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 04-09-2021 at 09:11 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Maybe this one:

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Maybe this one:
    Thanks, Kris.

    My memory is failing me, which is why I asked about this video. I will look at this later when I get some time. But, I thought the video I am looking for had someone like Wynton Marsalis in it, and I was thinking it was at the Kennedy Center here in the USA.

    Also, I think Scofield had a Fender Stratocaster in that video.

    Thanks for helping. I will look at your post and get back with you.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    You are not talking about his instructional tape from back in his Berklee days? It's fun to watch, he is a great player, but hasn't really developed his voice on that video yet.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Do you mean solos with a band or playing by himself?




  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    You are not talking about his instructional tape from back in his Berklee days? It's fun to watch, he is a great player, but hasn't really developed his voice on that video yet.
    No sir. It was some large Jazz event. I seem to remember that even some members on this forum pointed out Sco's solo, and how others in the video reacted.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Do you mean solos with a band or playing by himself?



    Definitely in a big Jazz gala setting. I am starting to wonder if I just dreamed this memory!

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Definitely in a big Jazz gala setting
    Sorry, I can't have read your first post properly.

    Try You Tube. There's a hundred Scofield solos, hopefully it'll be one of them.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Sorry, I can't have read your first post properly.

    Try You Tube. There's a hundred Scofield solos, hopefully it'll be one of them.
    No worries!

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Sco started played a baby-blue Telecaster (actually a K-Line tele with an "Ibanez" sticker on the headstock) in the 2010s. (He's done a few theater gigs with orchestras in Europe in the last 10 years, but I usually see him with a black Ibanez hollowbody on those.)

    Here's a video showing him with the tele:


    Here he is with Soulive playing a Strat in 2012


    I'm no expert on Scofield, but on youtube, I don't think I've seen any footage of him playing Fender-style guitars in the 1985-2005 period.

    He did a video at JaLC's small "club" venue where he revisited the "Loud Jazz" stuff and the "Quiet" album, but Wynton wasn't around.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    The first video and this one are the only ones I can think of:


  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    A few years back, someone posted a Scofield video at some big event (Jazz at the Lincon Center, maybe). This is what I think I remember:

    1) There were several Jazz masters, including Wynton Marsalis and other brass players
    2) In the video, Some commented that the other artists were staring disapprovingly at Scofield as he performed his solo
    3) I think Sco had a light blue and white strat that he played
    4) His hair was still black or brown in the video and I think he had a beard
    5) I am thinking the video was recorded in the 80's or 90's.
    6) There was a thread here in which forum members commented how some of the other artists were looking side-eyed at Sco's solo and some on the forum praised Sco' originality in the solo.
    7) I think he used a lot of outside notes, maybe too many for the Jazz traditionalists

    If anybody remembers this video please let me know if I am just dreaming this memory or if it is real. I am going to search some more. There is a chance that very video may have been taken down.

    No worries, folks.
    I have been watching John Scofield for a long time ... I don't remember that anyone from JF posted a video like that. I would definitely pay attention.
    John also appeared with the Stratocaster in the early 2000s.
    Do you remember when this thread was?
    I am very interesting.
    Help finding Scofield Solo video-wo-scof-jpg

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    A few years back, someone posted a Scofield video at some big event (Jazz at the Lincon Center, maybe). This is what I think I remember:

    1) There were several Jazz masters, including Wynton Marsalis and other brass players
    2) In the video, Some commented that the other artists were staring disapprovingly at Scofield as he performed his solo
    3) I think Sco had a light blue and white strat that he played
    4) His hair was still black or brown in the video and I think he had a beard
    5) I am thinking the video was recorded in the 80's or 90's.
    6) There was a thread here in which forum members commented how some of the other artists were looking side-eyed at Sco's solo and some on the forum praised Sco' originality in the solo.
    7) I think he used a lot of outside notes, maybe too many for the Jazz traditionalists

    If anybody remembers this video please let me know if I am just dreaming this memory or if it is real. I am going to search some more. There is a chance that very video may have been taken down.

    No worries, folks.
    Mike Stern used to play a white Strat back in the early 80's. Are you sure it wasn't him? John only recently started playing a Strat live so I don't think it was him.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jbromusic
    Mike Stern used to play a white Strat back in the early 80's. Are you sure it wasn't him? John only recently started playing a Strat live so I don't think it was him.
    "His hair was still black or brown in the video and I think he had a beard"

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    "His hair was still black or brown in the video and I think he had a beard"
    3) I think Sco had a light blue and white strat that he played

    5) I am thinking the video was recorded in the 80's or 90's.


    If it was Scofield playing a Strat then it wasn't recorded in the 80's or 90's.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jbromusic
    3) I think Sco had a light blue and white strat that he played

    5) I am thinking the video was recorded in the 80's or 90's.


    If it was Scofield playing a Strat then it wasn't recorded in the 80's or 90's.
    I haven't seen Scof's video with Strat in that time period .

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Hi! Maybe this one:
    about 6:30 in..Sco definitely plays a solo that has everyone's attn.. and Larry Carlton follows his solo on his Valley Arts Strat..<br><br>and this clip Tal Farlow is clearly diggin' Sco's solo.. around 9:05 in.
    Eddie

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Thanks everyone. None of the videos were what I was thinking of.

    I could have sworn he was in a video where he did his own thing. Either I dreamed this or they took that video down off Youtube.

    I spent a lot of time looking. I should have been playing my guitar, lol.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    You gotta stop smokin’ that stuff, man.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    "Fender Custom Shop Relic Stratocaster played in two songs on 'Piety Street'..."
    -this is from an interview with John Scofield.