The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

You're never too old to make a great album--Promises.

This came across my music feed today--a collaboration between Pharaoh Sanders and keyboardist Sam Shepherd, featuring the London Symphony.Fabulous stuff--very evocative. This reminds me of Pat Metheny's As Falls Wichita Falls and From This Place, as well as music by Harold Budd (especially Pavilion of Dreams) and Arvo Part. And, of course, Coltrane in his most ethereal late recordings.

I admit to not knowing too much of Pharaoh Sanders' work, but I will be listening to this a lot and checking out his back catalogue.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do not miss Karma.

I was at a used place I frequented and I found Karma in the bins. I exclaimed "You guys have Karma?!" and the co-owner deadpanned, "We all have Karma, man."

Backstory:

I won't detail the circumstances under which I heard this record, suffice it to say I was impressed and immediately sought out the record. Played it until I wore it out. Searched for it for ages on CD. Until one day....

Seriously, Pharaoh Sanders is somethin' else.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

pharoahs no stranger to out or ambient...he was one of tranes young faves..and wound up working with tranes widow alice after tranes passing...those alice coltrane lps are wonderful...he also cut a great lp with sonny sharrock and elvin jones-ask the ages...produced by bill laswell...and around the millenium era was working with bill laswell quite a bit...a real powerhouse player

his earlier impulse label solo lps like karma ^ & black unity are fab as well

i saw that he had a new recording...thanks for the reminder...must check out

cheers

User Info Menu

The first time I heard The Welcome To Love, I thought "Since when did Coltrane sound so GOOOOOD playing ballads?" Deep stuff and some of the most beautiful music ever recorded IMHO.

User Info Menu

When I was a young man I made a trip by myself to NYC. This was in the early/mid 90s. I went to the Village Vanguard to hear Pharaoh Sanders. The triangular-shaped room was pretty empty and I sat in the back. It was low key but his presence, the way he took his time, his tone, it was all education to me.

Pharaoh played for a while, then he took a break to let the piano player play and walked back to where I was sitting. He nodded to me and sat down at the empty table next to mine. Then he lit a cigar or a cigarillo and listened to his band along with the rest of us.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Do not miss Karma.

I was at a used place I frequented and I found Karma in the bins. I exclaimed "You guys have Karma?!" and the co-owner deadpanned, "We all have Karma, man."

Backstory:

I won't detail the circumstances under which I heard this record, suffice it to say I was impressed and immediately sought out the record. Played it until I wore it out. Searched for it for ages on CD. Until one day....

Seriously, Pharaoh Sanders is somethin' else.
    It certainly echoes Love Supreme, don't it? Pharoah was recording with Alice Coltrane about the time this album was produced. Of course he played with Coltrane in the early 60's and the 2 influenced each other quite a bit.

User Info Menu

Yes, "A Love Supreme" is unmistakably present, and so much more - Leon Thomas' vocals are extraordinary. The length and rhythm of the cuts almost mandate a meditative mood, if not state. Trance-endental, y'might say.

User Info Menu

Saw this thread and it brought back memories of probably one of my first experiences listening to live jazz in an intimate setting.
    I was still in college and Pharaoh and his band, sometime around late 1973 or early 1974, were playing at a very small club in
    almost the wrong part of town. A friend and I walked in and Pharaoh was literally right by the bar at the front door, wailing and I mean wailing away full tilt. He saw us and he retreated to the bathroom right there and continued his warm ups for quite while.
    The tiled bathroom reflected all that sound back out into the almost empty bar. We could hear him from the other end of the bar. Just so intense. Loud, non stop flurries of notes. At least 20 minutes plus before the actual start of the performance. Just the band and a bartender and a few patrons.
    I think they were a little surprised to see two crazy college kids who were obviously new to the scene.

I later got to hear him play at the 2nd Telluride Jazz Festival. I remember he played 'Elevation is the Key' and how appropriate for the location and scenery that day!
    Very fortunate to have experienced such a wonderful and intense player with that level of commitment. 'The Creator Has A Master Plan' has always been one of my
    favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MtnCat
    Saw this thread and it brought back memories of probably one of my first experiences listening to live jazz in an intimate setting.
    I was still in college and Pharaoh and his band, sometime around late 1973 or early 1974, were playing at a very small club in
    almost the wrong part of town. A friend and I walked in and Pharaoh was literally right by the bar at the front door, wailing and I mean wailing away full tilt. He saw us and he retreated to the bathroom right there and continued his warm ups for quite while.
    The tiled bathroom reflected all that sound back out into the almost empty bar. We could hear him from the other end of the bar. Just so intense. Loud, non stop flurries of notes. At least 20 minutes plus before the actual start of the performance. Just the band and a bartender and a few patrons.
    I think they were a little surprised to see two crazy college kids who were obviously new to the scene.

I later got to hear him play at the 2nd Telluride Jazz Festival. I remember he played 'Elevation is the Key' and how appropriate for the location and scenery that day!
    Very fortunate to have experienced such a wonderful and intense player with that level of commitment. 'The Creator Has A Master Plan' has always been one of my
    favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MtnCat

favorites.
    Cool!

To digress just a moment, I had the experience of seeing Woodie Shaw and his band at the Village Vangard back in 1980. I was 19. We sat right in front of the bandstand--close enough to feel the heat and smell the sweat. Incredible show!

During the intermission, I was at the bar getting a drink (yes it was legal then), and Steve Turre sat next to me, and we chatted for about 5 minutes. I remember distinctly him saying that "playing music was like making love." I have never forgotten that, nor the experience of seeing a great jazz group really killing it in an iconic place like the VV.

User Info Menu

Speaking of Steve Turre, I've got an album of him and Pharaoh Sanders and Herbie Hancock where Turre made a collection of seashells into wind instruments and the record, The Rhythm Within, is just beautiful. Check it out.

User Info Menu

I’ve seen Steve Turre a few times, both with Woody Shaw and other groups, and he always played something using a conch shell. Made a good sound though!

User Info Menu

turre's been known for blowing conch shells for a long while now

cheers