The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Will have to watch this when I get a chance. Joe is a monster player. IMO one of the best synth players who ever lived. How he could duplicate such a complex sound from the studios when he performed in concert is still a mystery to me.

(BTW the other synth players in the jazz world I would put up there are Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock. Hard to beat Zawinul at creating a giant soundscape though.)

What really defines him IMO is his lack of artistic constraints. He followed his own voice wherever it led, be that melodically or in terms of musical styling--from hard bop to fusion to world music. And he pushed his fellow players to take chances on their own.

User Info Menu

One of the best documentaries about a great musician I've ever seen.

User Info Menu

will watch..big zawinul fan from his cannonball adderly days..thru miles in a silent way...into early weather report...but when it comes to pure synth playing nobody touches jan hammer! mahavishnu orchestra! jeff beck completely rethought his guitar style to emulate him...to this day!

& david sancious wasn't too shabby either

cheers

User Info Menu

ps- a zawinul high point...from the great recording-mysterious traveller

american tango written by zawinul and great czech bassist-miroslav vitous

vitous was felllow founding member of weather report along with wayne shorter & zawinul

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    will watch..big zawinul fan from his cannonball adderly days..thru miles in a silent way...into early weather report...but when it comes to pure synth playing nobody touches jan hammer! mahavishnu orchestra! jeff beck completely rethought his guitar style to emulate him...to this day!

& david sancious wasn't too shabby either

cheers
    Zawinul melodies whether on synth or piano are just so unique--really impressionistic. He and Chick are 2 of the few who really play with the timbre of the sound and move away from the usual Moog-centric cliches of the time. (Not that there's anything wrong with Herbie rocking out a Moog beat.)

I listen to a lot of Jan Hammer especially with Mahavishnu and Beck...yes he's great--seems like he's approaching the keyboards from a different angle--kind of trying to use the keyboard like an electric guitar. And of course his funky clavinova stuff.

David Sancious is unfortunately underrecorded and underappreciated. I was nuts about him in the 70's--his album Transformation I just about wore out--but then he kind of slipped off the radar and became mainly a sideman. He played as recently as '19 on Springsteen album. You may know that he is an incredible guitar player as well, and could have been known as a great guitarist if he hadn't been such a good keyboardist.

I think the the polymaths like that often are not so commercially successful cause they're hard to pigeonhole (ala Todd Rundgren), but in the end they have a lot of staying power and more opportunities to keep the music career going.

DaShigsta Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    One of the best documentaries about a great musician I've ever seen.
    It's a great documentary... You can see our band and myself very briefly towards the end when they were showing
    the opening of his club Birdland in Vienna. We were playing there with JZ for a whole week... this was a highlight !