The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

a solo feature from Gary's early days w/ Stan's quartet w the legendary Roy Haynes and Steve Swallow....great as he was, Stan also knew to have a good band behind him....
    this one by Burton is tres cool! kinda sounds like a Larry Young vibe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

the whole concert.... dig Stan's comment after Gary's tune @ 12:00....
    ps... Gary's book highly recommended....

Last edited by wintermoon; 03-26-2021 at 04:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Interesting that Gary chose to play his last with Makoto Ozone, another young giant that Gary introduced to the world. I was fortunate to play several duo dates with Makoto when he first settled in around
    Boston, and I had met Gary in 1968, with Coryell, Swallow and Moses in the band. I went on to play with Bob Moses and produce concerts with Gary and Steve years later. Burton is probably the most "pro" of pros I ever encountered, and his book on prepping for touring and living the jazz musician life is highly recommended. I hope he enjoys his retirement, he certainly worked hard as player, teacher and Dean of Everything at Berklee.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    the whole concert.... dig Stan's comment after Gary's tune @ 12:00....
    ps... Gary's book highly recommended....

As you know from reading Burton's book, when Burton found out what % Stan was paying him, he quit, right on the spot!
    That makes Stan's comment almost insane! LOL!

User Info Menu

litterick just posted a clip from that london school of economics show a day or 2 ago on the listening now thread...

amazing band...and as i commented there- that's my kind of economics class!

getz had so many great bands...he used young talent as well as miles

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    a solo feature from Gary's early days w/ Stan's quartet w the legendary Roy Haynes and Steve Swallow....great as he was, Stan also knew to have a good band behind him....
    this one by Burton is tres cool! kinda sounds like a Larry Young vibe.
    Wow and thanks ! Is that the earliest GB vid ? (( I mean we're talking ' before moustache ' here . )) : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    As you know from reading Burton's book, when Burton found out what % Stan was paying him, he quit, right on the spot!
    That makes Stan's comment almost insane! LOL!

And as I think GB said in his autobiography, not only was he the sideman, he was doing all the booking and scheduling, etc etc, right ?.

User Info Menu

young gary...pre getz...with the great hank garland

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    And as I think GB said in his autobiography, not only was he the sideman, he was doing all the booking and scheduling, etc etc, right ?.
    Yes, that's what's so funny/insane about SG saying maybe he should give Burton a raise!

User Info Menu

Yes, that's what's so funny/insane about SG saying maybe he should give Burton a raise!
    .....And then he ( GB ) says Sarah Vaughan hired ( ? ) him / joined him because yeah, he could play but he also knew and remembered all the good hotels...... : )

.......Absolutely, that is one awfully good autobiography !
    Last edited by Dennis D; 03-28-2021 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Gary nurtured the carers of quite a few guitar players over the years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Gary nurtured the carers of quite a few guitar players over the years.
    Yeah, but he seems to get revenge on a few of them also in the book. He doesn't have too much good to say about Metheny (who he fired), Coryell and Sam Brown, but the end of the book he talks glowingly about Julian Lage, whose career he probably continues to nurture.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but he seems to get revenge on a few of them also in the book. He doesn't have too much good to say about Metheny (who he fired), Coryell and Sam Brown, but the end of the book he talks glowingly about Julian Lage, whose career he probably continues to nurture.
    ?? He did a couple of "reunion" albums with Metheny as I recall, in fact one called "Reunion". I'm guessing they weren't that mad at each other.

Don't know about Sam Brown, but as for Coryell he deserved to be fired more than once in his career--was fired by McLaughlin and DeLucia from the guitar trio for instance.

User Info Menu

BTW speaking of books, anyone know of a good Stan Getz biography?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    BTW speaking of books, anyone know of a good Stan Getz biography?
    I’ve got one called ‘Nobody Else But Me’. As I recall it’s not overly detailed, but it’s a very serviceable account of his life (about which I knew hardly anything).

To be honest, by the time I’d finished it, I didn’t really want to know any more details...to say he was not a pleasant character would be an understatement!

Ronnie Scott used to say he got a slipped disc from bending over backwards trying to please Getz whenever he played at his club.

User Info Menu

a sad but interesting insight into getz -

(in a letter to downbeat magazine, from the jail ward of l.a. general, after his getting busted in seattle)

What happened in Seattle was inevitable. Me coming to the end of my rope. I shouldn’t have been withdrawing myself from narcotics while working and traveling. With the aid of barbiturates, I thought I could do it. Seattle was the eighth day of the tour and I could stand no more. (Stan you said no excuses.) Going into this drugstore, I demanded more narcotics. I said I had a gun (didn’t).

The lady behind the counter evidently didn’t believe I had a gun so she told another customer. He, in turn, took a look at me and laughed, saying, ‘Lady, he’s kidding you. He has no gun.’ I guess I didn’t look the part. Having flopped at my first ‘caper’ (one of the terms I’ve learned up here), I left the store and went to my hotel. When I was in my room I decided to call the store and apologize. In doing so, the call was traced and my incarceration followed.

The woman behind-the-counter was Mary Brewster. When she asked to see Getz’s gun, he fled the drugstore, and ran directly to his hotel across the street, as other customers watched. When Getz ‘phoned Mary to apologize, a policeman was listening in. Gettz said:

“I’m sorry for the crazy thing I did. I’ve never done anything like that before. I’m not a stick-up man. I’m from a good family. I’m going to commit myself on Wednesday.” Brewster asks “Why don’t you commit yourself today?” “I can’t. If I don’t get drugs, I’ll kill.

The cop on the phone spoke up, pretending to be a doctor and asked if he can help. Stan blurted out his life’s story. The “doctor” said he was coming right over to help. Locked in his room, despairing and ashamed, Stan tried to kill himself by swallowing a fistful of barbiturates. The police knocked on his door minutes later, and run him in for booking. A photograph of Stan in the back seat of a patrol car, looking sick and scared, was flashed over the news wire services. The overdose of barbiturates took effect minutes after he was locked up and he collapsed.

from

Stan Getz on Jazz, drugs and robbery: ‘I’m sorry for the crazy thing I did’

|
    Dangerous Minds

cheers

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Legends. They left behind beautiful music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I’ve got one called ‘Nobody Else But Me’. As I recall it’s not overly detailed, but it’s a very serviceable account of his life (about which I knew hardly anything).

To be honest, by the time I’d finished it, I didn’t really want to know any more details...to say he was not a pleasant character would be an understatement!

Ronnie Scott used to say he got a slipped disc from bending over backwards trying to please Getz whenever he played at his club.
    Or the famous quote by Zoot Sims about Getz: "He's a swell bunch of guys".

User Info Menu

Haha I had just remembered that one, you beat me to it!

User Info Menu

let's not forget what coltrane said about getz

Let’s face it–we’d all sound like that if we could.

2 all time faves right there!..trane n getz...they called getz -"the sound!"

cheers