The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 128

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Also does anyone else go through phases? Like just getting into one player’s approach for about six months.
    Having no phases would be a bad sign. Same here, except for me a phase takes 10 or more years :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In no particular order and with the caveat that there are hundreds of other great players I admire and have been influenced by:

• Jimmy Raney
    • Allan Holdsworth
    • Johnny Smith
    • John Abercrombie
    • Bill Frisell
    • Jim Hall
    • Ed Bickert
    • Ben Monder
    • Kazumi Wantanabe
    • Nels Cline

User Info Menu

Hmmm. After some thought, my 10 favorites/most influential are probably the following in no particular order:

Grant Green
    John McLaughlin
    Kenny Burrell
    George Benson
    Django Reinhardt
    Grant Geissman
    John Scofield
    Pat Metheny
    Wes Montgomery
    Larry Carlton

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Don't think we've done anything like this for a while...so why not?

No explanations necessary unless you want to, only rule is: jazz guitar players. Who's in your top 10? Don't have to be in order, either...

For me, not really in any order...

1. Grant Green
    2. Jimmy Raney
    3. Jim Hall
    4. Kenny Burrell
    5. Ray Crawford
    6. Bobby Broom
    7. John Abercrombie
    8. Charlie Christian
    9. Bill Frisell
    10. Ed Bickert

My list is pretty old school, I guess...kinda funny, my listening taste is generally a bit more modern, but I don't really listen to the modern stuff specifically for guitar.
    Leaving out Wes is either i : a typo , or ii : you're like the guy that refuses to put Kind of Blue in a top 10 list of great Jazz albums because it's too obvious.... ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Leaving out Wes is either i : a typo , or ii : you're like the guy that refuses to put Kind of Blue in a top 10 list of great Jazz albums because it's too obvious.... ?
    I love Wes, but these are the players I've actively tried to steal the most from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I love Wes, but these are the players I've actively tried to steal the most from.
    I have to admit, this is also my criterion when rating my favorite rock/folk/blues guitarists. (I’m not good enough yet to imitate jazz guys.)

User Info Menu

I didn't leave a list but someone who is in my top 10 - nay my top 5 - in terms of who I listen to the most and who has apparently not been mentioned in this thread before.

Ralph Towner.

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian
    Jimmy Raney
    Wes Montgomery
    Kenny Burrell
    Barney Kessel
    Rene Thomas

I can't even think of more than 6 that are the top for me.

User Info Menu

Bireli Lagrene
    Kenny Burrell
    Wes
    Tal Farlow
    Jimmy Raney
    Peter Bernstein
    Graham Dechter
    Ted Ludwig
    Jim Mullen
    Alessio Menconi
    Last edited by Simon1234; 11-25-2021 at 08:06 AM.

User Info Menu

These are the 10 jazz guitarist I listen to the most:

Tal Farlow
    Wes Montgomery
    Jimmy Raney
    Barney Kessell
    Grant Green
    Joe Pass
    Bireli Lagrene
    Philip Catherine
    Doug Raney
    Rene Thomas

User Info Menu

Jim Hall
    Wes
    Toninho Horta
    Joe Beck
    Romero Lubambo
    Joe Pass
    Chico Pinheiro

User Info Menu

Wes
    Joe Pass
    Kenny Burrell
    Johnny Smith
    Bireli Lagrene
    Pat Martino
    Herb Ellis
    Barney Kessel
    Larry Coryell
    George Benson

User Info Menu

First tier:

Barney Kessel
    Ray Crawford
    Charlie Christian

Second tier:

Wes
    Grant Green

That’s about it for jazz guitarists. Other instruments do so much more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf
    Hmmm. After some thought, my 10 favorites/most influential are probably the following in no particular order:

Grant Green
    John McLaughlin
    Kenny Burrell
    George Benson
    Django Reinhardt
    Grant Geissman
    John Scofield
    Pat Metheny
    Wes Montgomery
    Larry Carlton
    Geissman survived three versions of your top 10. Interesting. Are you an LA guy?

I don’t know much about Grant but attended one of his gigs in LA back in ‘80. He was enjoying his success with Chuck Mangione and of course the big hit “Feels So Good”.

He played the hell out of that repeating signature lick of his. A good tension device but I think he used it too much. A hell of a picker, he was.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Geissman survived three versions of your top 10. Interesting. Are you an LA guy?

I don’t know much about Grant but attended one of his gigs in LA back in ‘80. He was enjoying his success with Chuck Mangione and of course the big hit “Feels So Good”.

He played the hell out of that repeating signature lick of his. A good tension device but I think he used it too much. A hell of a picker, he was.
    Geissman is also an expert on Mad Magazine & EC Comics, and edited some of the Mad anthologies. Even did a guide to those collectibles: Collectibly Mad: The Mad and Ec Collectibles Guide

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Jim Hall
    Wes
    Toninho Horta
    Joe Beck
    Romero Lubambo
    Joe Pass
    Chico Pinheiro
    Thanks for that list! I love Brazilian styles but haven't kept up with the latest players. Checked out Pinheiro on youtube and first one I saw was Invisible Lights which I found pleasant, some tight playing and all, but frankly got a little bored. But super glad I checked out more of him. Next one was BOCA DE SIRI and I was blown away by his playing & singing. (Surprised to find out he is 45, thought at first he was a kid in his 20s.) Loved Smile also. Very versatile dude.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar

Saw Geissman a few times at Donte's in West Hollywood. One time I took a rocker friend of mine that had never been to a jazz club. We were both 20 or so. I explained that one major difference was the intimacy of such clubs. E.g. one can often talk to the musicians. We get there really early and get a table. Later on Geissman shows up and comes to our table; he brought his very beautiful girlfriend and asked if she could sit at our table. Of course we said "of course"! Grant joined us during the breaks. I enjoyed his playing but he did have some riffs that he liked to use often and he did.

PS: Don, since you lived in So Cal around the same time I did: Did you ever catch Tal Farlow and Red Norvo at Donte's? (with Monty Budwick on bass). Because out of the 50 or so shows I saw at Donte's that was the most special one. Seeing them play Move and other songs they recorded during the 50s is something I'll never forget.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 10-27-2021 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

1/ Kenny Burrell
    2/ George Benson
    3/ Django Reinhardt
    4/ Wes
    5/ Grant G
    6/ Eddie Lang
    7/ Bucky P
    8/ Mark Whitefield
    9/ Russell Malone
    10/ Keith Richards

User Info Menu

I am finally going to bite on this thread.

1. Joe Pass
    2. Wes
    3. Pat Martino
    4. Johnny Smith
    5. Kenny Burrell
    6. Barney Kessel
    7. Lenny Breau
    8. Al Di Meola
    9. Django
    10. Johnny Gray

I guess these would be my influences and who I still listen to the most. If you granted me the ability to play like any one of them I think I would take Lenny Breau. He could smoke bebop and then play Chet and to me no else in jazz guitar history has quite covered his mastery of very different styles of playing. The odd man out not known to many is Johnny Gray. He was a friend of Bill Barker and played a Barker guitar was responsible for my father getting his Barker guitar that I still have. Bill Barker gave me all of Johnny Gray's recordings. We would listen to them in the shop. At the time as a young 19 year old Gray's technique of using the pick and fingers for a really complete guitar sound comping and soloing was cool to me.

Al Di Meola because I went through the period of trying to speed, speed, speed before realizing he was not any faster as such than others he just played different type of lines. I still enjoy listening to Al he has fire and spirit especially in his acoustic work. However it is obvious for the record Joe Pass wins on all the tickets for influence. I think because for me at least he was the most real player I knew. I met Joe a few times and my father knew him in his earliest days. Joe was very humble about his playing the sense that he never made you feel intimated. He was just another fellow who enjoyed the guitar and good food and regular stuff. When you keep up with Oscar Peterson you don't need to worry if you have made it in the guitar world.

Finally two players who influenced my playing but not on the list. My old friend and teacher Fred Rundquist and Bill Barker, fine guitarist who could play with anyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I am finally going to bite on this thread.

1. Joe Pass
    2. Wes
    3. Pat Martino
    4. Johnny Smith
    5. Kenny Burrell
    6. Barney Kessel
    7. Lenny Breau
    8. Al Di Meola
    9. Django
    10. Johnny Gray

Mark, you and I have 6 players that make both our top 10 lists and I have to day that Django and Al Di Meola were VERY hard for me to leave out and are surely in my top 15. No wonder we are both big fans of Gibson and D'Angelico archtops, eh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Saw Geissman a few times at Donte's in West Hollywood. One time I took a rocker friend of mine that had never been to a jazz club. We were both 20 or so. I explained that one major difference was the intimacy of such clubs. E.g. one can often talk to the musicians. We get there really early and get a table. Later on Geissman shows up and comes to our table; he brought his very beautiful girlfriend and asked if she could sit at our table. Of course we said "of course"! Grant joined us during the breaks. I enjoyed his playing but he did have some riffs that he liked to use often and he did.

PS: Don, since you lived in So Cal around the same time I did: Did you ever catch Tal Farlow and Red Norvo at Donte's? (with Monty Budwick on bass). Because out of the 50 or so shows I saw at Donte's that was the most special one. Seeing them play Move and other songs they recorded during the 50s is something I'll never forget.
    No I was a starving student and didn’t stay in town very long. Sorry I missed him. Those were good times for jazz in LA. Glad you got to see him though.

User Info Menu

Tonight there can only be one.

Pat Martino

Tomorrow maybe I can add the other 9.

RIP PM, one of my greatest inspirations.

User Info Menu

In the order that they come to mind (and probably in the order of how much I listen to each):

Jim Hall
    Barney Kessel
    Kenny Burrell
    Peter Bernstein
    Joe Pass
    Herb Ellis
    Wes Montgomery
    Charlie Christian
    Julian Lage
    Tal Farlow
    Grant Green

Sorry. I guess I broke the rules, since this is eleven. I don't really want to remove one though.

User Info Menu

Just to be a bit different. In no particular order;

Charlie Byrd
    Gene Bertoncini
    Baden Powell
    Joe Pass
    Jim Hall
    Grant Green
    Wes
    Emily Remler
    Mimi Fox
    Barney Kessel